Advice please: Wright Cyclone piston rings.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fortress2aZ9A

Recruit
Mar 8, 2024
Good afternoon, I would be very grateful for some advice on Cyclone R1820 piston rings. In the late 1980s I acquired two, very poor condition Wright Cyclones from a scrap dealer in North East Scotland. They had lain on a moor for about 40 years and so much was corroded and much had been removed for souvenirs. Eventually I discovered they came from a B17E Fortress operating with 519 (Meteorological) Squadron RAF, which crashed on return from a trip over the Arctic Circle on the night of February 1st/2nd 1945. Six of the crew were killed or died of their wounds but 3 survived (pilot, co-pilot and trainee pilot). The a/c number was 42 9225, with a RAF number FL455 squadron code Z9A.
One of the engines was mounted 'as was' on a stand and has been on display in the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, Doncaster since the 1990s. The other I stripped down and have been working on it on and off since. (after about 2000 it has been mostly 'off'). I am now pushing on to finish it as best I can. Because of loss and corrosion, I am going to mount it as a cutaway, driven about 5 - 10 rpm. I have managed to recover some piston rings, but would like to buy some more. I have seen them advertised but there are a variety of part numbers. I do not have a parts catalogue so am at a loss at which to try. The engine is a R1820 and I am certain it is a R1820-65 (16:9 reduction ratio) and was the port inner. The engine number from the accident record is 563537. All i/d plates were stripped or lost years ago.
I have seen adverts saying that a ring no: 68498 +004 fits R1300s, 1820s, 2600s and 3350s. Other numbers I have are : 2810-166-0765PD, 25176, 639577, 68498-Y-77, 147637-Y6C orY8C, 2810-618-5679,147637-Y10-C10 orC65. I am at a complete loss and so would much appreciate some guidance. Mike D.

Hi Fortress2aZ9A. Sounds like a great project! I believe there are a few Forum members that might be able to help you out.
Thank you. It has taken a long time but I hope to get there in the end. Regards. Mike D.

Mike Nixon at Vintage Radials should be able to help you.
Thanks very much. I will try them. The cylinders are corroded inside, so I am going to have viewing panels cut into them so the pistons and rings can be seen moving. The cylinders are almost ready, so when I get the rings sorted, the cylinders can go back on and that is another stage behind me. Regards
Mike D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back