**** DONE: 1:48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

Well, I finally found a bit of time to get back to the table. I have been busy making maple syrup in my spare time. It cannot wait while the sap is running, the model making gets put on the back burner.

I managed to get the fuselage painted. The wings and tail planes have been set in place for the update pics. More progress soon I hope.

Cheers,

Jeff

How's your syrup turning out Jeff? My bro in law says it was a bad year. He's finished and had only half as much volume as last year.

Good morning Andy. The quality of the syrup is fantastic. As far as amounts are concerned I have as much so far as last year but I have more buckets out on trees. The weather has been real "syrup unfriendly" this year. We are either getting days at a time of freezing weather which stops the flow of sap or we are getting days where it is well above freezing through both the night and day which is not the best for sap production.

It dropped below freezing last night and it is to get up to about 12 degrees celsius today so hopefully the sap will flow and I can get enough to make it worth while. I may not have much time as some of the softer wood maples have come into bud so the harder wood ones may not be too far behind and once they bud, that is it.

For those folks who are not aware, the maple tree sap runs best when day time temperatures rise a few degrees above the freezing mark and night time temperatures drop to a few degrees below freezing. The sap to syrup ratio is 40-1 meaning I need 40 litres of sap to boil down to 1 litre of syrup. It is a lengthy time but it is well worth it when the golden liquid hits the taste buds. If you don't believe me ask Karl or Terry or any true red blooded Canadian, we know!

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. My in laws live near Sparta and relay pretty much the same story as yours.

All this discussion got me hungry and I made myself some nice French toast this morning and, yes, the syrup was fantastic!

Thanks for all the compliments fellas.I

The past couple of days has seen lots of progress. As you will see in the pictures below, the fuselage has been painted and the main decals have been applied ( after a coat of Future of course.) Next time to the bench will involve placing all the little stencils that adorned the B-17.

The tail planes have been glued into place and now the fuselage will sit until I can get back to it.

The wings are just lightly attached to the fuselage just so we can get an idea how she is going to look when she is done.

ps..made some more maple syrup today as well.....there is no rest for the wicked.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Cheers,

jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back