<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter TF X - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's looking good Andy, and that radio equipment should be more than adequate once painted.
Note that the bulkhead did actually have twin, armoured doors, which opened towards the rear of the aircraft, and were normally latched in the open position.
The ammo tanks aft of this bulkhead were normally painted black, or a dark, chocolate brown, with yellow stencilled loading instructions.

Great work on the interior Andy! How the heck did you cut the door out of the bulkhead AFTER it was glued into place?

Must admit that it wasn't without some casualties. A couple of the delicate braces fell off due to the floor bending but otherwise no real issue. The trick is to drill lots of holes and use a sharp scalpel.

Center section now done. Boxes painted black an dry-brushed with silver. I also added the fuel gauges behind and to the right of the pilot seat. This required a modification of the heater tube which stuck too far into the passage way. I removed the elbow and cut the tube at the joint near the bulkhead and, with another cut just downstream of the elbow, rerouted the tube closer to the fuselage wall, making room for the gauge box.

16111002.jpg
16111001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. It's Remembrance Day today and I'll be attending a wreath-laying ceremony today at the Bomber Command Museum and then spend the rest of the day working on my 1:1 scale Mosquito. Not much progress anticipated but may get something done.

Thanks Hugh. Terry, is your coat fixed yet?

Progress since last time has been includes adding more junction boxes to the center section and winging it on some wiring that will be visible through the canopy. I also made a crank on the port side, the function of which escapes me but it's there in some references. I glued the floor to the starboard side after having added some switches and gauges along the canopy rail, something I still need to do on the port side. Fortunately, I do have some good references for these areas.

16111301.jpg
16111302.jpg
16111303.jpg

Trial fitting the fuselage halves together revealed no issues but it did show me that I do need to add some detail to the navigator's area as there is a fair amount of empty wall visible through the blister so it will be a little longer before the fuselage is buttoned up.

EDIT - no idea why the pics loaded twice. I don't want to screw around trying to delete them so I'll compensate by only posting 1/2 pics in my next post......

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Andy.
That 'crank' isn't a crank - it's pull-down lever which, when pulled, releases the entry hatch in an emergency. There's another one in the rear fuselage, on the port wall above the rear hatch.
Immediately to the right of the lever, there should be a red-painted 'T' handle, which releases the dinghy, again repeated in the rear fuselage.

....EDIT - no idea why the pics loaded twice. I don't want to screw around trying to delete them so I'll compensate by only posting 1/2 pics in my next post......

Too much of "click!" :lol:

Edited. ..

and a nice work Andy. :thumbright:

This is another good job andy is very well, and you know from now that the thread will use this for when I do mine, that you have already known .....

You're welcome Andy. I'll try to extract some pics, and send them via e-mail, showing the details in various parts of the interior.
Can't seem to get them to copy for some reason.

Thanks Terry, that would be great. I'm pretty much sorted for the cockpit and center section. The starboard observer's compartment is well covered by the sketches posted by Wojtek. I'm a bit weak on the port side, though the hatch will take up the top quadrant and I assume there'd be an ammo box per the below figure.

Everything I've found on the net is either the Aussie MK XXI's or the early Beau displayed at the RAF Museum with the see-through partial fuselage so any info you have on the Mk X would be of help.

Interesting to see what appears to be the yellow gas detection circles in the below pic, if that's what they are.

cid_4E0C7D24-30E9-4BAE-AAE8-7C1D861E7D09_zps5hjjhj4p.jpg

Great eyes man! I can only see black and white! ;) Great additions backed by solid research... I like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back