**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss A-8 Shrike – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I did a lot of work tonight and I'm getting real close to the finish.

Picture 1 The radio mast snapped when I was cleaning it up so I made this one from a toothpick, carving it to the right shape with a file. Also I installed the rear cockpit canopy and gun. The resin gun went in beautifully but I had some issued with the canopy, but after some superglue, swear words and a lot of time it turned out alright.

Picture 2 telescopic gunsight, drilled out and installed. Also exhaust staining done with a acrylic/alcohol wash. It was covered with the final coat of Future and looks too shinny so I think I'll wipe it with alcohol tomorrow to give it the same dull look it had at first.

Picture 3 The kit control actuators were resin and broke when I was cleaning them up so I did them with pieces of plastic card. Still have to add the rod and paint them.

Picture 4 The tail wheel finished and installed.

Picture 5 The finished prop. The real thing had a backing plate as shown in a picture in post #1 that the kit did not account for, so I made one up from plastic card. It also should have had a panel line forward of the prop where the very tip of the spinner came off. I tried to do this but it looked like cr@p so I ended up filling it and repainting.

Not much left to do now so I should make the deadline with no problem. Than I can decide what I'm going to do for GB #17

P2259335.JPG
P2259337.JPG
P2259338.JPG
P2259340.JPG
P2259341.JPG

Last edited:
Picture 1-3) I spent a lot of time tonight making machine guns out of hypodermic needles my wife brought home from work for me. A small needle glued inside a larger 18 gage needle with CA. The smaller needle looks a little too small, but it was what I had to work with. Fortunately I had a bottle of de-bonder close at hand because my index finger and thumb became one with a cross locking pliers. I had my doubts as I was making them but they looked pretty good once installed in the wheel pants.

Picture 4) One of the four control actuator finished.

Picture 5) The prop installed.

Pictures 6-13) DONE!

Won't have time to do the finished pics for a day or two.

P2289343.JPG
P2289345.JPG
P2289347.JPG
P2289348.JPG
P2289349.JPG
P2289350.JPG
P2289351.JPG
P2289353.JPG
P2289354.JPG
P2289356.JPG
P2289357.JPG
P2289359.JPG