**** DONE: 1/48 MS 406 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along very nicely. I was reading Hans Rudels "Stuka Pilot" and I believed he mentioned this subject in there. I had not recalled the plane till you did this build and then it came up in a book,

MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Hello,
I almost finished painting but something but something troubles me...
This photo was taken during August 1941 but no yellow fuselage band... Or just a part...?
Ms-327 2LeLv28 1941.jpg

Normally, the FAF painted eastern front markings in mid June 1941...

Is it a part band behind the shoulders or light reflection the same as seen lower down the fuselage behind the right mans elbow! Just thinking.

It is quite to difficult to say if there was the yellow band at all . An image taken in the September 1941 ( ten victories at the leading edge of the fin ) and a shot of the MS-327 taken at the end of the 1941 show the yellow strip clearly. It is possible there still were Ms.406s without the band at the beginning of the 1941. But later all got the yellow strip. Therefore I would say yes the band was there. Have a look at the pic of the MS-308. The band at the fuselage top is almost unseen. If the black spot wasn't applied there, you wouldn't say it was there.. Just the yellow and the green colour are interfusing in the B&W image. Because the MS-237 seems to be still retaining the origin camo scheme and the pic might have been taken with the isohromatic negative , it is very likely we can see the same effect in both of shots.

MS-308small.jpg

Last edited:
My pleasure. :)

And here is another example of the same effect. The yellow band is almost unseen in the picture of the MS-306 White 8. The enlarged and clipped shot shows that the strip was there. Its left edge can be noticed at the fuselage top because of "damp patches" or dark smudges ( possible a camo dark spot ) at the area. But the shade of the two colours there is almost the same. The right edge of the band is seen partially beelow the pilot's right hand kept in the right pocket. Also the small bar of the plane number MS-306 can be noticed there.

Ms-306 white8_small.jpg

Ms-306 white8_large.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great. However I think , there was the blue-grey colur at the top of the fuselage at the rear window area and a little bit behind it. Then the green colour like in the colour profile in your first post. Also I'm not sure about the yellow undersides of the wing tips. But I would say - yes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back