**** DONE: 1/48 OS2U-3 Kingfisher - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
User Name : Donivanp
Name : Don
Category : Intermediate
Kit : Monogram, OS2U-3 Kingfisher
Scale : 1/48
Accessories : Lone Star Models OS2U resin cockpit and main float.

Kit comes with three sets of marking, Pre war USN, WW II USN, and RN.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had started to build this as one of my yellow wings aircraft and had cut the floats off to put landing gear on, I have painted the wings and fuselage also in prep to do this. Nothing else has been done to this and it will have to be re painted and floats put back on to do this GB. According to Rule #2 (below) this is a judges call.

If approved I intend to do it in the WW II USN with the kit supplied markings. I also beg your indulgence as this is my first attempt at this and If I make a mistake let me know and I will try and correct it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
If the model is going to be a naval one I can't see any reason it for rejection. But please keep the proper form of a title of a thread for GBs. Just for the future projects.

Monogram did several kits in the 80/90's and called them high tech. They also put pe in several pro modeler. Think I found a resin cockpit for it also. Lone Star models (20 miles south of me) makes a resin cockpit for $20 and they have it a 30% off. So I picked up one ( ordered ) foe $14 + tax.

Considering how much I love seaplanes/floatplanes I'm certainly glad to say once my kit gets in (which I will not reveal until I get it) this will be my first groupbuild! Looking forward to seeing some great throughout the course of this build!

On order now from Cockpits and Details 1/48
LSM 40203
OS2U Cockpit
$20.00

I did not order the main float though it is also available form them as well.
LSM 40339
OS2U main float
$20.00

I did fit the floats together and squirt a little paint.

Attachments

• new_OS2U_set__2_op_640x480.jpg
    new_OS2U_set__2_op_640x480.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 288
  • Corrected_OS2U_float_11_op_640x480.jpg
    Corrected_OS2U_float_11_op_640x480.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 301
  • OS2U2.JPG
    OS2U2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I have seen one or two along my years on displays. I built a MPC 1/72 scale on one when I was around 10 or 12. I don't recall if the USS Alabama had one the first time I went there back in77 but the USS North Carolina Has one. The USS Texas does not have on and she is in my back yard. The National Museum of Naval Aviation has one as does the Smithsonian, I ordered the OS2U in Action Squadron Signal #119. I did a search for OS2U Kingfisher and found a few sites to include the Smithsonian.

Vought OS2U Kingfisher Photo Walk Around
Walkaround Vought Kingfisher
Kingfisher Walk Around

I still dont have much in the way of interior shots but we will see. I can't due much till I get the interior, then away we go, till then I'll keep plugging at my Bf-110D in the start to finish build thread. Thanks for the follow and encouragement from all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back