**** DONE: 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Hobby Boss
Model Type: Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb
Details: 355th FS, 4th FG, USAAC, Debden (U.K.), 1942
Decals: spares from 1/72 Italeri Spitfire Mk Vb kit

Here's my second entry to this Group Build. It is an Hobby Boss kit from their easy assembly line. As you can see in the picture bellow it is quite basic with small number of parts (indeed the entire fuselage is moulded as one piece as well as main wings). Though the overall shape is correct I believe, the kit has it's issues mainly with canopy, propeller and main landing gear. But more about it later as I'll address these issues during the build in order to achieve more authentic look.

I have spare decals for American Spitfire from Italeri kit I've build recently, so to stay true to the Group Build theme will use those. Must admit I haven't done a lot of research on American use of the Spitfire. I'm keen just to fallow Italeri instructions regarding the paint scheme and markings - standard RAF continental scheme, yellow wing leading edges, sky fuselage band and spinner. No traces of overpainted RAF roundels on the wings? Cockpit would also be RAF interior green I guess. If someone has any pointers regarding this feel free to post…

Attachments

• GB 20_II-01.JPG
    GB 20_II-01.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 249
  • GB 20_II-02.JPG
    GB 20_II-02.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Gb 20_II-03.JPG
    Gb 20_II-03.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
Spitfires seem to suit USAAF markings really well.

nice choise igor i buy this plane but not arrived to fast, that I was going to do the trick and had made ​​the decals is only printing

now more pics pics....

Okay, first progress shots... Assembly of this kit is very simple and fast. Though the general shape of the model looks correct it isn't without it's shortcomings as can be seen on one of the close up shots bellow. Fit isn't perfect and filling with putty will be required. Also cockpit is very poor in details. In matter of fact there's none - just seat and a control stick. And since the fuselage is molded as one part it would be quite difficult to add details in there.
But not to worry, I have a plan how to circumvent this. A subtle and cunning one. In fact, it's so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel. He, he!

Er, where was I? Oh yes! The plan is to use a pilot figure from my spares which will fill out the cockpit and hide the lack of details. Relatively thick clear parts will also help...

Attachments

• GB 20_II-04.JPG
    GB 20_II-04.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 177
  • GB 20_II-05.JPG
    GB 20_II-05.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 181
  • GB 20_II-06.JPG
    GB 20_II-06.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 183
  • GB 20_II-07.JPG
    GB 20_II-07.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Good stuff Igor, and I like the 'cunning plan' !
I've only ever built one HB kit in 1/72nd scale, and it reminded me of a plastic version of a die-cast model, in the way the parts were made and assembled. Quite clever, and good for a quick build where the exterior is more important overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back