**** DONE: Bf109F-1, W.Nr. 5628, Werner Molders, Stab JG51, Me/FW Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry, I agree with Harrison. Give Model Master enamels a shot. I swear buy them and have several jars I still use that are pushing 20 years old. I heard they are available in the UK now.

They are Glenn, but only by mail order, not at my LHS, so same problem as all other paints - when needed in a hurry, I can't get 'em, and have to order a minimum quantity.

Yep, I have had good consistent results with Model Master enamels. I prefer them now to Humbrol. Starting to hate those messy tins Humbrol come in too, especially when your trying to get some paint in the airbrush. 109? Where's that at T?

It's progressing towards the finish line!
Finally got some of the small stuff done, after mixing RLM 02 from a combination of old Humbrol gloss, satin and matt paints!
PICS 1 and 2. The windscreen has had the port side screen joint, where the panel opened, engraved, and the grab handles added from stretched sprue. The moulded reflector screen on the gun sight was cut off, and replaced by two pieces of thin clear sheet, one of which was tinted green, using a CD marker pen. The cockpit UV lamps were added, also from stretched sprue. The windscreen and frames have yet to be cleaned up in these shots.
PIC 3. The forward joint between windscreen and cowling, although visible on the full-size aircraft, was a tad wide on the model, so this has been filled with PVA, which will be painted once set.
PIC 4. After removing an ejector pin mark from the rear of the canopy armour plate, this was painted and cemented in place, and support struts added from stretched sprue. The canopy internal and externall frames had already been painted, and the knobs for the side screens, along with the perspex handle for the top panel, were carefully engraved. The locking latch and retaining wire will be added, from stretched sprue, prior to fitting the canopy to the cockpit sill.
PIC 5. The leading edge HP slats had been tacked in place with PVA whilst the model was painted, and these have now been removed, the area cleaned up, and the visible sections of the internal leading edge painted RLM 02. The slats will be cemented in place in a semi-deployed position.
Next step is to add the shoulder harness straps from foil, then fit the rear glazing, before moving on to the landing gear/tail wheel etc.
Thanks once again for your continued interest and comments, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Molders Bf109F 217.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 217.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Molders Bf109F 231.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 231.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Molders Bf109F 220.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 220.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Molders Bf109F 225.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 225.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 81
  • Molders Bf109F 230.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 230.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thanks guys.
A little more progress - the shoulder harness has been installed, made from foil and fuse wire, and the rear cockpit glazing fitted. Once set, this will be re-touched as required. Going to have to pose the canopy open, as the fit in the closed position is not good, due to the seating of the rear glazing.
The main gear legs have also been fitted - then a minor disaster occured.
Minutes after taking the photo, I moved the model, and caught the tail fin on one of my desk lamps, snapping off the antenna post I'd previously made, after much fiddling around!
B*ll*cks!
So, next job is to try to make another tiny triangular post, and hope it can be fitted and painted without damaging the surrounding area. Given that this can be achieved without inventing too many new curses, the final construction can be completed. More pics once I've stopped cursing!

Attachments

• Molders Bf109F 235.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 235.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 132
Thanks Cory and Evan. I've been trying to re-do the antenna post tonight, but my hands are a bit too stiff at the moment, and I'm concerned I'll make a b*lls up of it. So, it'll have to wait until the digits are working properly, which means I can't really go any further for now.
B*ll*cks and double b*ll*cks !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back