**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One more shot to your collection Terry..

Bf110D M8_CH.jpg

And here is the next one you posted above but of better qulity. The werk nummer is clearly seen above the guy's back..

Bf110D M8_CH_.jpg

I don't think so - need to check - but I know you also gave me some Eduard guns etc, for use with the Fujimi kit, which I'll be doing as a 'D' from Ep Grp 210, with belly ETC bomb rack.
No problem though, as I have two of the Eduard kits, both of which have the ribbed belly tank, as well as the wing tanks and a huge amount of extra parts for the spares box.
The Fujimi belly tank actually looks more accurate in shape, especially around the joint to the fuselage, but it lacks the prominent ribs, so I'll use the kit tank.
Ok just thought i could've sent you it but your covered so all is good

Thanks my friend.
In the first pic, the railway track can be seen in the background, with telephone poles along the side. The center fuselage section, showing the code letters, is wrapped around one of these poles, and I presume the ladder has been placed there to possibly repair any damage caused to the 'phone wires.
I've driven past the crash location a number of times in years passed, and hadn't known, until a couple of years ago, that a Bf110 had come down there !

Thanks Michael.
I'm just sorting through the kit parts again, to see what needs to be added, and more importantly, what can be omitted, as there are over 300 parts in this kit which, in some areas, may be a tad over-engineered. Some of the detail areas which will be hidden can be left out - for example, a lot of the machine gun bay and fittings, as I won't be removing the upper cover.
I'll post some observations and pics shortly.

Karl - just checked, and yes, you sent me the belly tank, so now I have a total of four !

Ah, this GB is bringing out all the veterans now. Great stuff Terry. I will follow with interest and hopefully some advice as I built the Eduard C kit some years ago here. Let me know if you need any detail pics or other info as I have John Vasco's book on this subject.

I think that a couple of thing that you may need to grapple with, depending on the contents of your E kit are:

- E had a rectangular air intake on the nose between the guns whereas the D did not.
- The Bordfunker's dual seats were replaced by a single one - I will need to check further on your above conclusions as Vasco says that the C and D had the fold down seat. My model of the C has the folding seat.
- The E had a spear type pitot tube fastened close to the starboard leading edge whereas the D had an L-shaped affair similar to the Spitfire type mounted further back on the underside of the wing.
- The main tires for the E were a larger diameter and slightly wider than the D (935mm dia. vs 875mm resp.) Also, the E's hubs were much larger, a new brake system being added.
- The E had protruding rudder trim tabs whereas the D tabs followed the trailing edge of the rudder.
- Later E's had a scissor linked tail wheel but this would not have been used on the D
- There might be differences in the radio antenna configuration but I would need to check on that.

Perhaps your Fujimi kit can act as a donor if and where needed. Also, the biggest issue I had with the Eduard kit was the fit of the engine nacelles to the upper wing fairings. I had to use a LOT of filler here to make it work. Otherwise, a great kit if somewhat over-engineered. Depending on the contents, you could potentially leave out all the stuff associated with the cannons under the cockpit floor as very little of it will be visible in the end.

Just found the pic. If the semicilcular seat is the folded one it seems it should be there. The caption of the shot says the C-1 cockpit.

Bf110C-1.jpg

Thanks Andy and Geo.

Andy, all of the areas you mention are covered by spare parts in the kit - in fact there are possibly more 'unused' parts than kit parts !
The kit's main wheels are the later type, but I have two sets of resin wheels, of the correct size and pattern, for this and another Eduard kit (to be done as a 'C' from ZG26), and I've also ordered some hollow, resin exhausts, as the kit parts, being separate, solid stacks will not only prove darned fiddly, they are also wide open to alignment errors.
There are two tail wheels in the kit, but I'm guessing I'll possibly need to extend the leg to accommodate the 'boat' tail - comparing it to the Fujimi example, and scale drawings, it looks too short, but I have yet to thoroughly check the multitude of small parts.
From what I've seen of the antenna, it's a single wire, starboard side, but again, I need to check on this further.

I admit I'm not yet 100% sure regarding the folding seat, and I have the same John Vasco books, together with a number of other books and references. In some photos of the 'C' variant, it appears as if there might not be a folding seat, although its inclusion would make sense, and I have a plan and side elevation of the C/D variant showing only the rear, swivel seat, with the same configuration in a couple of 'cutaway' drawings. The Fujimi kit does not have the folding seat, but those other kits I've seen, including the Dragon 1/32nd scale kit of the 'C', do have it, so a bit more research is needed I think. I do know that later variants, such as the 'G', had a single, longer, web, bench seat.

I'll post some pics of some of the parts and their replacements, along with some details of areas which can be 'simplified', in my next post.

Great stuff Wojtek !
That's the seat in question - the seat base was designed to fold forward and down, to allow access to the cannons and spare ammo drums. I now know to include it, and to scratch-build one for the Fujimi kit.
As mentioned in my previous post, some kit detail pics etc will follow shortly.

Forgot to add earlier - thanks for the reminder regarding fit of the cowlings Andy. I remember this from your build, and others I've seen, and I agree that the kit is perhaps over engineered and over complex in some areas.

The Kagero books for the Bf 110 mention that the Bf 110D got the new strenghtened landing legs with new larger main wheels 875x320mm and the tail one of 465x165mm.

Hmm, that's interesting.
i have the Kagero books, so I'll check it out. However, the photos of the 'D' show the earlier pattern wheel, with smooth tyres, as used on the 'C', and the 'True Details' resin wheels I have are the earlier type, labeled for use with both the C and D variants.
The kit, being the 'E' variant, does have the larger, later style wheel. like those on the 'G', which have the vented hubs, and treaded tyres.

The book of Wydawnictwo Militaria says the Bf 110B main wheel - 815x320mm, the C/D versions - 875x320mm. Started with the E/F variant the main wheel was of 935x345mm. The tail wheel for B - 350x135mm , C - 380x150mm, begining with the D - 465x165mm.

I've just checked the dimensions, and patterns, on the Eduard and Fujimi kit wheels, and the resin wheels. Both kits' wheels scale out correctly, and have the correct pattern hubs, whereas the True Details resin examples match the dimensions and pattern for the 'B' variant !
So much for True Details being 'true', and at least one review for the Eduard 'C' kit stating that the wheels were incorrect - and I bought two darned sets !!

Heck ! Two pages and 35 posts already, and nothing has been done yet !

OK, so a bit about the kit, and what is, and isn't needed.
I picked up this 'Weekend Edition' on special offer a couple of years back, for £12.50 - normal price at the time was around £20 or more, so a good deal I think, especially for what is included among the 340 parts .
There are probably as many parts not required, as there are needed to complete the model in the version depicted on the decal sheet, most of which are not shown on the parts illustrations in the instructions,with a load of underwing stores in the way of pylons, tanks, bombs and granatenwerfer etc etc, as well as multiple choice of such things as canopy styles, in both open and closed positions, rear gun deck fairings, nose gun covers, and at least three detailed instrument panels, and one or two 'plain' examples for use with the decal included. I haven't noticed any difference in the instrument panels, at first glance anyway.
As mentioned by Andy and myself, there are some areas that seem to be a little complex, and perhaps over-engineered, but I will be omitting those parts that will never be seen for this build, and replacing some others, such as the overly complex exhausts.
Karl had the same kit, in an earlier issue, which also included two sets of main fuselage halves - the 'standard' 'E' variant, and the extended, 'boat tail' version, but my example did not include the latter.
Fortunately Karl came to the rescue, and provided the spare fuselage parts, along with some other bits and pieces which can be used on the Fujimi kit.
The kit is exceptionally well detailed, which will be seen as the build progresses, but for now, here are some pics of some of the major areas that will distinguish the 'Dackelbauch' version from the 'E' variant provided in the kit.

PIC 1. The standard 'E' fuselage at top, and the extended, 'boat tail' version below. The extended tail housed a dinghy, and was opened via a latch in the gunners position, releasing and inflating the dinghy, which could be hauled in with the aid of the cable along the port side of the fuselage.
PIC 2. At the top is the Fujimi 'Dackelbauch' belly tank, with the Eduard example below exhibiting the prominent ribbing. However, both examples lack the fuel fillr details on the front of the tank.
PIC 3. Those contentious main wheels, with the 'True Details' resin Bf110C/D wheels at the bottom. It turns out that the kit wheels are more or less correct after all, with the resin examples being more suited for an earlier 'B' variant !
PICS 4 and 5. The vast majority of the internal detail in the gun bay can be omitted, as the upper cover will be cemented in place.
PICS 6 and 7. The exhausts are separate, solid parts, which will no only be fiddly to assemble and fit, but could also be prone to misalignment, or repeated damage during handling. They will be replaced with the Aires resin examples (as will those on the Fujimi kit) whih I've ordered.

I hope to make a start on the model, commencing with the highly detailed interior, within the next couple of days, and certainly by the weekend, just as soon as I finish the Mosquito PR.IX and get the photos done.

Thanks for looking, and I'll be back soon (ish).

Bf110 Dackle build 006.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 017.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 009.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 018.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 019.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 020.JPG
Bf 110 exhausts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back