**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Mitsubishi Interceptor raiden
Aftermarket addons: None at this stage

About a month ago Wayne Little contacted me with an offer of some kits just for the cost of the postage. It was a very generous offer and immediately gave me a number of additional options for this group build. Needless to say, this is a very generous gesture from wayne, and much appreciated.

This kit is one of those.

Im going to approach this as a strictly OOB build.

The main thing I want to get out of this is is the correct colour matches in the Tamiya Acrylic range for that tricky green. I will probably have to pester you guys bit to get the colour portions right.

The thing that jumps out for me is the scaling differences. Up to now Ive been almost exclusively building in 1/72 scale. This is a 1/48 scale kit, and fairly large as well. If nothing else, everything is easier to see.

Anyway, the following are the initial images of the kit

Last edited:
Images of the kit...

Box Art.jpg

Plans 1.jpg

Plans 2.jpg

Decals.jpg

Colour plates.jpg

Clear Parts.jpg

Parts Sprue 1.jpg

Parts Sprue 2.jpg

Wing parts.jpg

well a starting point seems to be this link with a pretty good walk around of the type

Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden (Jack) Photo Walk Around Image 19

The following are some shots of the interior, which is where I intend to start....

upload_2017-11-12_16-5-55.png

Ive marked the colours I'm leaning towards at this moment. The control panels are simplified in the kit and appear as raised details. ive found in the past the best way of bringing that detail out is by careful drybrushing

upload_2017-11-12_16-10-0.png

This is harder. still loads of that XF-26 and the bluish grey 'primer". in the kit there is a virtual bathtub as a major element of the interior. Almost certainly I will paint this before installation. This image is missing some of the equipment fitted into the console so I will need to research further as to finishes.

Control stick looks a different colour again which ive not yet worked out exactly.

IP looks like a very dark black green, with the dials themselves somewhat lighter, almost charcoal with of course the white dial markings. There is a decal in the kit which show the dial faces somewhat darker than appears in this image.

But the differences in tonality between what you see in the background and what shows up on the dials is important enough. if I'm going to use those kit supplied stencils, I will need to work out some way of contrasting the IP backround and the stencil colours.

The Primary interior colour is the medium green noted above not any of that bluish looking grey, the Ip panel is also the green with Black dials some of that painting is not the original colours.

You intend using tamiya acrylics Michael?

The Primary interior colour is the medium green noted above not any of that bluish looking grey, the Ip panel is also the green with Black dials some of that painting is not the original colours.

You intend using tamiya acrylics Michael?

I would prefer to use Tamiya, yes. Paints that I'm familiar with really

I had a look at the link you posted wurger. man that is phenomenal. If I can do one tenth as well I will be happy....

so before I start (probably tomorrow evening now), I need to get the details right in my head. No substitute for shameless emulation...
upload_2017-11-13_1-23-55.png

This is the prep work this guy in Wotjeks link undertook. The basecoat is the X-18 Flat black. He appears to have some parts like the control stick support in a stronger deeper shade of black. I'm suspecting some Vallejo paint on elements he wanted to retain. The IP backing board seems to be an altogether different colour, probably a dark grey. This shows up clearly in the next photo.

upload_2017-11-13_1-32-18.png

The author decribes how he finished this in the following terms....."Basecoated in 50:50 XF-2 Flat White and XF-71 Cockpit Green; postshaded with 50:50 XF-2 and XF-14 IJA Grey, then straight XF-71, and finally some 50:50 XF-57 Buff and Gunze Sangyo H66 RLM79 Sandy Brown. All "filtered" with Sin Industries P244 Green for Light Green. Details picked out with Vallejo acrylics".

Some of those paints ive never even heard of......but I will do my best to follow this guy. What he achieves is nothing short of stunning in my view....

no work tonite. spent the night playing a scenario called "capture of vienna" from the old SPI "Next War" wargame with my nephew. He is learning really well, or maybe I'm just getting old and doddery.....

Good links Michael. What I use for washes are Citadel's version, they are acrylic. Used over a gloss coat as well. They build up slowly so you don't have to worry about putting too much on. I have all three but rarely use the black, it's pretty stark

devlan%2520mud%2520and%2520badab%2520black%2520replacement.jpg

SeraphimSepia1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back