**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Hawker Hurricane I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First photo taken apparently between 12 and 18 August 1940, probably the 15. These two aircrafts will be destroyed the 18 August by G. Schöpfel (III./JG26). Note the earlier serials (Pxxxx, First Gloster Produced Block, delivery between November 1939 and April 1940).
Photo 2: Betheniville in May 1940 (black/white underside with roundels introduced on 15 May).
Photo 3: SD-U, R4105, Gravesend, September 1940 (Second Gloster Produced Block, delivery between May and July 1940).
Photo 4: SD-K, maybe V7469, Kenley during October 1940 (Third Gloster Produced Block, like V7357, V6799 and V7497, delivery between July 1940 and August 1941 ! 1700 aircrafts !).
Photos 7 & 8: SD-K, L1824 or L2055, Filton late in 1939 (First Hawker Produced Block, delivery between December 1937 and October 1939).
Photos 9: SD-H, L2124 ? Filton late in 1939 or Tangmere late 1939 early 1940? (First Hawker Produced Block, delivery between December 1937 and October 1939).
Photo 10: SD-J => ??? early production batch...?

V7357 was lost the 17 September 1940. First flight by Lacey on 2 of the month. Probably delivered during August 1940...
V7497 SD-X lost on 28 September (P/O E.B. Rogers). Only 7 operational sorties between 24 and 28 September...
V6799 SD-X lost on 7 October and later repared (P/O K.A. MacKenzie)

Last edited:
According to the groups for the period of time I would say the SD-F could be either of the earlier fin flash with no roundels on undersides or of the late fin flash with roundles at the bottom. Both variants with the thin code letters. Of course the intermediate variant of the camo I mean the one of the SD-X is possible too. All that depends on the time and when or if the plane was lost.That's my two cents.

I'm going to choose one of the three possibilities... :eek::)

Your datas fit in with of my groups of the period of time. So I would follow them for the SD-F.

Yes I do. Also the one seen for the SD-N and SD-X if the SD-F was already delivered to the squadron at that time . But for the September/October 1940 the same way of markings like for SD-U "R4105" or SD-K "V7469" should be correct.

Just read an article where Lacey made a dead stick landing in front of a film crew who captured the whole thing...James Lacey

On the 30th of August, Lacey was badly shot up over the Thames estuary. Considering that he had sufficient altitude to glide as far as land, when he reached the Isle of Sheppey he decided to try and get all the way home in a shallow glide. As he neared Gravesend he pumped his undercarriage down and did the same for his flaps. With engine lifeless he made a perfect landing and rolled to a stop immediately in front of a camera crew who had filmed the whole landing. Lacey's pride at having brought his shattered Hurricane home safely would soon be shattered by the Engineering Officer who, surveying the eighty seven bullet holes in the plane, tartly commended "Why the hell didn't you bail out?... I'd have got a new aircraft tomorrow morning! Now I've got to set to work and mend it."

Curious as to which aircraft and where the film is

If it would be the SD-F Hurricane it should be marked as I stated in #26. The underwing roundels were restored there on the August the 1st and then corrected on 15th. So by the 30th August the kite should have them there.

A very lucky man it seems

upload_2018-3-19_10-22-10.png

Good stuff - a tricky subject, as there were so many changes between June and August 1940, with some delays in applying them.

Ginger Lacey was honoured with a 'Blue Plaque' last year, at the site of his original home in Wetherby, North Yorkshire, which is now a new 'Aldi' supermarket.
My brother lives in Wetherby, and new Ginger quite well, as he was, at one time, the President of the local aviation society (I met him through this, and when he was CFI at Bridlington flying club), and took this pic of the plaque for me.

blueplaque%5b5%5d.jpg

Hello,
To start, here are some modifications on the fuselage for both projects => So, it's the same photo and comment in the other project ;)
DSCN3661.JPG
:)

Hello,
Here are some modifications (or surgery :D ) for both projects => So, one more time, it's the same photo and comment in the other project ;)
I removed the part behind the pilot's head and I cut the rudder.
I also sanded the fuselage covering (lining?) to mitigate it

DSCN3669.JPG
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back