**** DONE: GB-37 1/72 Westand Sea King - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work on the insides Michael! :thumbleft:. Too late now, but for future reference I encountered severe warping on my current Folgore build and posted the fairly simple and effective method I use to fix it.

Andy;
probably. this is a dedicated kit for that subtype, and I was just tagging along following the instructions. I should have checked with the photographic evidence first. Ive been thinking about a fix all day and think I might have one. First thing is to dislodge the clear domes, then to insert and glue some wire bars on the inside of the fuselage before cutting a styrene patch that will need to be a tight fit, gluing said patch into the surplus aperture in the fuselage and then use the ubiquitous Tamiya bog to get rid of the seam. Will be quite a challenge I think.

Kirby.

I didn't even think of your folgore issue, I should have. it would have helped I think. As it is the warping is not all that visible to me. so should be okay so long as the seams don't come apart.

Ive removed the viewing domes and plated over the hole in the fuselage. No dramas really.

Will post photos tonite.

Next task is to cut holes in the turbine assembly and just under the rotor so that I can fit the PE grates in those areas. Looks like a very scary exercise. if I get the cuts wrong, which could be easily done, I will ruin the model. no comebacks that I can see. Difficult cuts to make and no template or outline for my drills, saws and files to follow.

AARGHH

poOkay here are the fixes and the changes ive made to the turbine assembly so far

turbine 1.jpg

Ive cut out most of the turbine upper decking and replaced it with a PE grate. also cut a hole on the stbd side gluing in that PE side panel. looks terrible at the moment,, but the filler was wet when I took this so I was unable to sand the filler back

Stbd side II.jpg

Fuselage, stbd side showing that ive filled in those superfkuous portholes at the rear.

Port side.jpg

Other side is better.

Looking good Michael, you're doing a lot of scratch work I'd never attempt AND at 1/72 yet. And I'm dealing with some severe fit problems that I created myself. Gobs of CA,putty, clamps, and vise-grips are getting there though

The alts I'm making to the turbine housing are from the "Airwaves" aftermarket PE kit. As Andy points out, its hard to work out exactly what ive done, but its a lot, and there is still some slashing and burning to go. Plus I have a lot of clean up to do.

Basically Ive removed most of the top decking of the plastic and replaced it with a PE part, meant to look like the inspection hatch located there. On the starboard side Ive drilled and opened up a hole in the plastic on the starboard side and then glued over the top of that hole the side grates. The hole was meant to be just slightly bigger than the PE part, which was meant to sit snugly in that hole. I judged that to be "mission impossible" so I settled on just making a hole where the grating is and then sticking the part over the top of that . I have to "feather the edges around the PE to try and hide the lip, which partly explains the messiness of the part at the moment.

I have to make a further incision on the port side of the turbine assembly and do this all again. I'm reasonably confident I can do it but its white knuckle stuff for sure. And until I get the part sanded and painted, its going to look pretty ordinary for a while

Another problem looming is that the turbine assembly does not fit well into the space made in the the fuselage assembly. I am going to need to use styrene card to fill the seam at the rear of the turbine cover....this gap is too much for the Tamiya filler to handle properly

Before I get to that I will have to do some more drilling and hole making, this time at the base of the rotor housing. There is a further PE grate that is supposed to be installed in that area, located between the rotor pedestal and the turbine housing. There is also another piece of PE decking that is meant to be installed on the flat bit just aft the turbine housing. That's going to be hard because of the fit problems ive mentioned above.

Slow build because poor fit and lack of essential detail. Also Incorrect detailing. This is proving to be a hard build for me.

Im struggling a bit with these turbines, trying to make them fit the fuselage properly. Ive attached the last PE grating plate, and attached the turbine assembly, using both styrene card and filler to try and achieve a seamless fit. The seam seems to have disappeared, but I have a massive clean up now which I find somewhat difficult..

I have also fitted the grates for the base of the rotor housing and the exhauststack.

This one is a real challenge because nothing fits very well.

I plough on I guess.

turbine 2.jpg

turbine 3.jpg

Fuselage 1.jpg

Fuselage 2.jpg

That interior is great Michael and with the forward port and rear stbd doors open it will all be visible. As for the fitting of PE grating, rather than drill holes for good effect, I usually mark out the area and then scrape a trough where the PE is to fit. I use a surgical curved #10 blade for this, it gives a reasonable blade tip for scraping with accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back