**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 B-17G “Carolina Moon” - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The rear end of the fuselage has been made as a separate sub assembly so different versions of the B-17 can be made from the same main kit. The parts were made of clear plastic and unfortunately a join line runs through the middle of the rear windscreen. I have the Squadron canopy set which has a vac replacement part but it was very thin on top and had been damaged (red arrow)
P1012685.JPG

I decided to cut out only the windscreen portion of the kit part and replace it with the corresponding area from the vac part
P1012686.JPG

Here's the finished assembly minus some buffing needed on the side windows. Kind of hard to photograph because of all the clear plastic but it does look better that before I started.
P1012688.JPG

Looking good. I like the Academy kit in 72 over Revell or Airfix. The only one I might like better is the Hasigawa kit. The Academy kit though does do near all versions of the B 17.

Thanks guys.
I had some issues wile trying to install the cockpit canopy last night. Well, disaster would be a better word for it. I was too disgusted to take pictures last night so I'll try to get some posted tonight.

The cockpit canopy cracked wile I was gluing it on. The pilot side window completely broke off and there is a big crack in each of the windscreens. It is a rather awkward maneuver sliding the canopy glass in but it went ok during the dry fit, but when I glued it there was a gap between the windscreens and the upper nose and everything cracked when I pushed it down and applied some CA. I must have stressed the plastic sliding it in and every thing went when I pushed it down.
I have the squadron canopy set but wasn't going to use the canopy because I didn't think it looked as good as the kit part and also it requires some surgery, taking off the cockpit roof. Now I don't have a choice.

P1012690.JPG

Darn !
I hope you can make the vac-formed canopy work Glenn.
Yes, I'm sure I can, it just means a lot more work. I wanted to get the fuselage buttoned up, the wings on and all the joints smoothed out this week so I could start paint this weekend. Only a month and a half left in this build and I'm starting to feel that it isn't enough time with the limited amount of time I have to work on it these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back