**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 Ju87 D/G - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is Kora Decals version, markings on the horizontal stabs as well. I'll look for a photo...

1543332524288.png

So far I can only find B model trainers with the tri-colors on the horizontal stabs. The few D models I've found aren't clear enough to tell for certain

Here the same.

However the HAD set again doesn't present that..so it looks like even Hungarians don't know that themself .

48187.jpg

Been through all my Ju 87 and Hungarian Air Force books plus the interwebs and I can only see horizontal stab stripes on the B model. Worst case scenario....someone finds a photo of a D model with them later on...just have to do an easy repaint

Michael, the Hungarian version will be very interesting to admire. :cheers:

I think you have a lot of the information you need (so far ...:-k...), ... but every time I'm more clear, that we are among a GREAT group of friends always willing to support sharing any kind of things physically by mail, as well the great information, images and great teachings that are hallow and inspire to move forward.
:grouphuuug: Gracias a todos :notworthy:

I´ll stay tuned to what's next with your Stuka

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Guys marvellous work as always.

im not in a great rush for this project. Trying to get as much done on my carrier build and then going away for a Christmas break with the family.....which I really really need.

Im just maing sure my ducks are all lined up at this point, before I clear the workbemch and get intoit.

Hey guys!

Michael, sorry! Wanted to make sure you got the decals on time, and weren't waiting on me getting photocopies, so sent them off without info. (Last reliable local copy shop closed up 2 months ago :( )

I haven't seen any (clear) Ju 87D photos personally, but all drawings seen point to national flag painted across the rudder only, not on the tail itself (though atleast some Ju 87Bs had full width tail bands)
Contrary to what I wrote earlier, rechecking info shows tailplane tips were indeed painted with national markings. My memory must be slipping.

Will try to post pics of info I have tomorrow for you (and again sorry for not doing so earlier!)

Last edited:
No need to apologise. You did me a huge favour by sending me the decals in the first place. The other guys were quick to come to my rescue and everyone reading this discussion will walk away with a better knowledge of the marking schemes for Hungarian late war Stukas. That's a good outcome in my opinion.

Took some pics Michael, but a bit of a hatchet job with the smartphone. My wife will try and sort them out for me (no idea myself), and will post them when done (hopefully tomorrow night).

As promised, thanks to my wife. Sources:

HAD decal instructions
Magyar Sasok: A Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierö 1920-1945 - Punka György, Sárhidai Gyula (Hungarian Eagles: The Royal Hungarian Air Force 1920-1945)

DSC_1682.JPG

DSC_1683.JPG

DSC_1689.JPG

DSC_1688.JPG

DSC_1686.JPG

DSC_1684.JPG

Last edited:
Thankyou Evan, much appreciated. Looks like the particular aircraft depicted to be depicted by this decal sheet, does have both tail plane and rear aileron tail flashes.

I will also need to emulate those camo colours in Tamiya....RLM 70 , 71 and 76

First try from another discussion board

RLM 02:- XF22:1 + XF49:1
RLM 65:- XF23:1 + XF2:1
RLM 70: XF27
RLM 71:- XF62:1 + XF49:1
RLM 74:- XF24:3 + XF27:2
RLM 75:- XF24:5 + XF50:1
RLM 76:- XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2
RLM 79:- XF59:3 + XF64:1
RLM 80:- XF58
RLM 81:- XF51:1 + XF64:2
RLM 82:- XF5 or XF5:1 + XF2:1 or XF5:1 +XF3:1 (Bright Green)
RLM 83:- XF61 or XF24:1 + XF51:1 (Dark Green)

Thanks Andy, added to my growing list. I'd be hesitant about the profile and colors on the tail surfaces. I'll keep looking when I get home Wednesday, but so far have only found the colours on the A and B models

With the profiles, whilst generally lining up with each other, there are enough differences to cast a lot of doubt.

An actual photo would be of help. One would think at least one of this particular a/c must exist for so many profiles to be made with such similarities, yet subtle differences as well .

So the main colours are....for the upper surfaces,: RLM 82 Dark Green, RLM 83 Dark Green, based on the colour scheme posted by Evan. Lower surfaces are RLM 65. There are yellow flashes as per standard Eastern Front practice. Nose spinner is white, with that black wiggly decal overlain (not confident how that will turn out).....Wotjeks Post number 25 seems to be saying the same thing

These sources are in conflict however with Wotjeks profile in his Post 20. This profile specifies (for the same airframe) in the same time period upper surfaces finished RLM 70 and 71.

I'm not sure which of instructions sent by Evan you mean Michael. One calls for the RLM 70/71 while the second one indicates the RLM 82/83. As far as those posted by me are concerned .. there is the same mix of the top colours as you may notice ( the one in the post #23 even claims the RLM 71/83/65 ) . It looks like even Hungarians don't know how their own Ju-87Ds were painted. As memory serves these D Stukas were delivered to the Hungarian squadron in the early 1943. At that time the top camo of Ju-87s was of the RLM 70/71 while the undersides wore the RLM 65 coat ( but not the RLM 76 ) . As a result the delivered planes were of the camo because any other colours weren't used for that by the Junkers factory. The RLM 82/83/76 set was introduced in the mid of the 1944 but all assembled Ju-87Ds and even later Gs still wore the same RLM 70/71/65 uniform. IMHO Hungarians didn't repaint these planes with the new set of paints entirely because none of foreign users did that mostly, e.g Italian Bulgarian Ju-87s. What is more the Stuka no. B.631 was the first delivered "D" plane and had to be assembled in 1942 or in 1942/43. So it had been before the using of the RLM 82/83/76 set was started

DSC_1684a.jpg

DSC_1682a.jpg

Additionally the second instruction with the RLM 82/83 colours is wrong with the names of paints.The RLM 82 was a Light Green ( Grun ) colour although the better name would be just the Green . The RLM 83 was the Dark Green ( Dunkelgrun ) paint. .For that all reasons I would follow the RLM 70/71/65 scheme rather than the RLM 82/83/76 that seems to be a misinterpretation. All references for the Ju-87D call the RLM 70/71/65 colours.

DSC_1682b.jpg

I agree with Wojtek. Some of these model and decal manufacturers should do more research before launching their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back