**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Fieseler Fi156 Storch - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Your paint work is blowing me away ! Probably the best squiggles I've seen done yet. Wish I could pull that of in 1:72 scale !!

A small update showing the tail skid and wheels installed. Also, the exhaust stubs on the underside were drilled and hollowed out then fitted to the manifolds from the engine. This creates a seam which is visible but almost impossible to fix since it is flush with the fuselage surface and the opening is too small to fit any kind of file or knife so it will be left alone.

19070501.jpg
19070502.jpg
19070503.jpg

Thanks my friend. Forgot to mention that I flattened the tires as can be seen in the first pic. Still need to weather them after the various label decals go on.

Absolutely stunning work, Andy. I always enjoy your build threads. I learn something in each and everyone of them. I have that kit in the stack. Once I start it, I will be referencing this thread extensively.

Lordy, nice work Andy.
I've often thought these were the precursor to all them ungainly looking STOL aircraft.
But whay can't someone build an A-10 Worthog look alike. I think it would be a great homebuilt!!!

A couple of things that are preventing me from jumping back into this build are below.

Opinions are sought from you good folks as to the crosses that Tamiya provided for the top of the model. Clearly, I have already applied them but I only realized after the fact that these are proportioned exactly the same as those of the underside of the wings. As far as I'm aware, the standard upper crosses were proportioned differently than the bottom ones. Is there any truth to Tamiya's depiction?

19080101.jpg

The other thing, easily fixable but just a bit of a pain, is that the kit has omitted several framing members that would be clearly visible through the top glazing. The pic below shows what's been provided. The clear piece, with masking still on the outer surface, is shown to the left face down.

19080102.jpg

Here's a pic of an actual Storch from the top. Note the members (arrows) that are missing:

Missing frames 2.jpg

And from the inside, a few more:

Missing frames 1.jpg

I can add these with relative ease but just need to develop a plan of attack.

Looking forward to input on the crosses and thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back