**** DONE GB-43 1/72 Spitfire Mk. XIV - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne, everyone.......
I layed some Mr Surfacer in the gaps of the canopy, just to raise the framing a bit.
Canopy in place.
Got the rudder on,
Ailerons as well.
Moved the elevators upwards, so he's climbing away from the Me-262 going down.
GB43_G1-B16.jpg

Painting will begin tomorrow.
I'm going to use these SMS colors,
anyone used them before ?
I hope they are accurate of the RAF scheme!!!!!!
GB43_G1-B17.jpg

Haven't seen those paints before.
Hard to tell before seeing the paint shaken / stirred, but the Ocean Grey looks very light, and Forest Green is not a colour used by the RAF in Europe - it looks far too light and 'yellow green', were it should be RAF Dark Green.

Haven't seen those paints before.
Hard to tell before seeing the paint shaken / stirred, but the Ocean Grey looks very light, and Forest Green is not a colour used by the RAF in Europe - it looks far too light and 'yellow green', were it should be RAF Dark Green.

Is XF-19 underside, XF-53top grey, XF-61 camo green more likely closer?????

Last edited:
Your Tamiya colours are: XF-19 Sky Grey , XF-53 Natural Grey , XF- 61 Dark Green.

The XF-61 could be used for the Dark Green colour alternatively. See below. The XF-53 is suggested for the undersides as the MSG colour rather. And the XF-19 as one of the components for the MSG , mixed paint.

You need :

Medium Sea Grey - FS 36270/36440 - Tamiya XF-83 or XF-53 or mix of XF-19 + XF-54 , ratio 3 : 5
Ocean Grey - FS 36187/36152/36176 - Tamiya XF-82 or XF-54 or mix of XF-18 + XF-21 + XF-24 , ratio 1 : 2 : 2
Dark Green - FS 34095/34079 - Tamiya XF-81 or XF-61 or mix of XF-58 + XF-62 , ratio 1 : 5

I would follow the Tamiya XF-81/82/83 series for the RAF colours.

RAF Tamiya.jpg

And here the Vallejo range for these colours. Very similar I would say.

raf Vallejo.jpg

Yep. Tamiya made the XF 81, 82, 83 to coincide with the release of their 1/32 Spitfire IX and they are one of their few custom colours designed specifically for the RAF Day Fighter Scheme.

You guys are tops.
It's such a struggle for accurate colors.
Even with aging and fading.
I think it's sometimes the worst part of building.
👌
NO, I know!!!!!!! it's the worst part of building.
I have too many bottles of paint I cannot use on Anything.
Tamiya, Vallejo, what the.

So I looked up painting my 262, came up with the same Tamiya colors as I found for the Spit, XF-81/82, except for XF-76 Pale Grey for the Underside.
Sometimes I just want to sub it my entries UNPAINTED!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back