**** DONE: GB-47 1:48 Hawker Typhoon FR IB - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been running IPA through mine to clear my Tamiya paints. That vinyl seal around the tip housing is what worries me, otherwise I'd run lacquer thinner though it like I've done on my Iwata for years.

Thanks Greg and Andy. Bit the bullet and fired up the H&S. I tried some dark grey marbling as a base coat for the Ocean Grey. Not totally successful but you can make some out in the photos. Luftwaffe mottles will have to wait. I did this with the crown cap off so I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about it....a work in progress. Also its a totally different clean-up procedure compared to the insanely easy clean-up of my now departed Aztek

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

I'll let this dry over-night and then do the Dk. Green.....I hope. My plan is to paint vertical stabilizer and over-painted fuselage I.D. stripe with fresh Dk. Green and then add some grey and do the rest of the faded camo

Last edited:
Good stuff Geo. For my H&S, I've managed to just shoot a few cups of IPA through it after each session with a more thorough clean every few weeks. Now, this won't work with Vallejo paints as I discovered by accident the other day. Vallejo and IPA don't mix so if you are using those paints I'm not sure what your cleaner should be as water probably won't be enough.

Thanks Andy. After shooting Vallejo in my Aztek, I ran about 5ml of Windex through to get rid of the majority of paint and then cleaned with odourless thinner. I then flushed the bejaysus out of the air brush with water

Yeah I was tempted but the Windex I have has ammonia in it and I'm worried about that seal around the nozzle cylinder.

Sprayed the tail section with Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green. I don't know if the horizontal stabilizers were repainted like the vertical stabilizer and fuselage band as the photos don't show this area but I figured if they paint one area they might paint everything back there. A small amount of over-spray but I'll deal with that after the rest of the Dk. Green is on. Pretty stoked that no paint lifted

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

I'll let this dry over night and then mask and spray a lighter version of Dk. Green; lightened with some lightish grey. My biggest fear here is not mixing enough and then trying to match another batch

Thanks all. I masked off the wings using the paint instructions and Orafol masking film. This worked out very well. This stuff works great; about as tacky as Tamiya and I got a wee but of paint lift from rushing to remove a mask. Once again, no bleed under. I haven't figured out how to transfer this to the fuselage and struggled for a few days and finally used thin strips of Tamiya which kinda worked but the pattern isn't exact. The mismatch around the the left exhaust is intention as per the photo. I'll let the paint set up, do the few touch-ups and then prep for decals.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back