**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model: Mk.I (Kit Number A05115A)
Scale: 1:48
Add-ons: P.E. seat belts I hope

THIS WILL BE A LARGE SCREW-UP FOR MANY. I'VE SWAPPED BUILDS AROUND DUE TO A PART ISSUE IN THE OLDER AIRFIX KIT. IGNORE EVERYTHING HERE AND HEAD TO POST #26. MAJOR APOLOGIES.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 103115.jpg

1-AR212-02-001.jpg

DA Webs - Photo credit included

Last edited:
Your first picture looks to be a very early Spitfire with a 2 bladed prop.
Brian

Good to see an early Mk1 - nice choice Geo.
I should have a few (not many) detail shots of the World's oldest Spitfire, the Mk.1 at Cosford, if you need them.

Thanks all. Time to get started (once I figured which kit goes with which build) and as is my wont, I cut out and test drove the fuselage halves. I use this as my barometer to the rest of the build...aaaaaaaaaaand the barometer is falling. Ahead of the cockpit the fit looks good, maybe a bit of mud over the fuel tank area, no biggie as there is no panel line there. Behind the cockpit is another story, about a ½mm step all the way to the back. The culprit(s), the locating points at the rear. A quick snip and all is good. Oddly shaped locating holes as well

IMG_0002.JPG

I'm starting to use the Tamiya fine saws more and more to remove parts. The extra time it takes to remove the part well off-sets the clean up of the attachment points after they have been snipped off with a sprue cutter. My plan is to get the cockpit parts for both Spitfires prepped for painting and do them at the same time. Long weekend for me so I get an extra day in before returning to PG. A pain in the keester last week as one of two reactors broke down and they had to use one to get everyone through which they did with minimum delays. On a disappointing note, I still don't glow in the dark

Good stuff Geo. I just bought myself the same saw set but stopped at getting Tamiya's 40 dollar holder. Looks like you folded the parts forward somehow to make it stiffer so now I need to check if I did something stupid..

Yeah me too. But I'm talking about the way you folded the PE blade. I must have missed the idea of folding the grip ends forward toward the blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back