**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 Nakajima Ki.84 Hayate - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Appendages added, engine just being there. A bit of filler to add, not much

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

I may or may not hit the yellow I.D. stripes on the leading edge tonight. Grandkid has two lacrosse games out of town so we are debate whether to over-night it or not. Finally got some shelving up for my overflow. Pic of that later; its almost full

Thanks all. Some time during the build the fuel filter took a walk and never came back. Measuring up sprue pieces I found a piece of clear that was the right diameter and slightly oval. The kit part also never had the hangers. Not quite accurate but it'll have to do. I'll find the kit part after the build is done

IMG_1942.JPG

George,

Was hoping for some 'color' pics by now. Then I wouldn't feel bad about asking questions on the colors. I am starting my J2M3 and if I slow down I'll be finished by Monday! My kit is not complicated with very few parts.

I did read some of the articles from Nick Millman (Britmodler forum) and he appears to favor AK paints for their color accuracy. I did some 'shopping' and, other than starting yet another line of paints, many of the recommended colors were unavailable. That and I'm not so sure I'm 'married' to the Japanese model building; to mant 190's and 109s to do. So, back to my Tamiya/Vallejo stash.

Rationalizing that given the accuracy of any of my cameras on capturing the colors they shoot, as well as uploading, and the various display types that will be used to view, is it worth it? Other than 'knowing' I have the closest colors in the world, probably not!

I have two of the Tamiya Japanese green colors, XF-11 and XF-13. Given this is a navy model I will use the XF-11 for the top sides. The lower colors. I have two Tamiya Japanese greys, XF-12 and XF-14. The XF-12 is the navy color so I will be using that. I do have the olive green, for the interior, XF-58. Wing edge yellow-kindof color I have Tamiya XF-4 and Vallejo 71-078 (RLM04). I think I'll use the RLM04. The wheel bay insides are supposed to be IJN Grey. I believe I'll use my XF-54 and add some white to it.

So my question(s). You had mentioned using Tamiya XF-58 for the interior but what will you eventually be using for the exterior colors?

As a suggestion, GB builders (or any for that matter) probably should have a 'final paint applied' listing when turning the model build in. Would help some of us that are out of our element on finding a 'good' equivalent match for the paints listed on the instructions.

As a suggestion, GB builders (or any for that matter) probably should have a 'final paint applied' listing when turning the model build in. Would help some of us that are out of our element on finding a 'good' equivalent match for the paints listed on the instructions.

Many of us (I know I do) state what colours are used in the build thread. No need to list it again in the finished thread in my opinion though if someone wants to, that's fine by me.

Here's some colour Ralph. I used Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow because for some reason I have four bottles of it. Once thinned in the AB cup, I added some Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red using an old detail brush that I use for stirring, amount unknown. Note the over abundance of yellow ensuring that this time I will not have shortened myself in length and width as I sometimes do

IMG_1955.JPG

Bottom colour will be XF-14, J.A. Grey and the top colour will be XF-51, Khaki Drab which is close to the chip on one of the Japanese sites. You can see it behind the cockpit above. As Andy, I try to list all brands, colours and mixes during the build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back