**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Ki-61-Id Hein - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And here the next one that is said to be flown by Kobayashi but in December 1944 or January 1945 .... the fuselage belt was rather of the white.

Kawasaki Ki-61 Kobayashi.jpg

the source: the net.

The togetherness looks very nice Ralph
Used the Tamiya extra this 'quick setting' liquid. No crazing or blotching spread where the clear met the gray. I had thought about using a thin super glue but thought this might do. Glad I did. Might use it on all joints going forward? Applied to a wing bottom panel, wicks perfect and no (or very little) distortion of the joining pieces. Seems to create a solid joint.

IMHO all the pics were taken in the different time period from 1944 to 1945. But it is true that the paints used for the camouflage weren't of the greatest quality. These quite quiclky faded and peeled off. What is more the different markings don't mean that is was still the same kite. As memo serves the rotation/changing of the flying equipment , even in the same unit , wasn't anything strange at the last year of the war.

Primer on. Red tail done. I do not want to use the supplied decals for the orange (?) leading edge so I will be painting, thus the start of 'bounding' the spray area. I just need to get a color to match the decal tone. Tamaya Orange is not close. Using a mix of Vallejo yellow and orange seems to get me close? Jesse, any suggestions on color (paint) to use?

Ki-61-1d Red Tail Paint.jpg

The color 'swatches' did not adhere to the decal surface and proceeded to crack up when dry. The patch next to the 2:1 yellow orange mix is a 1:1 yellow orange. The larger patch is just the orange.

leading edge orange.jpg

As can be seen, the decals for the wheel bay doors (22,25) are horribly thin in places. Not showing is the decal carrier width in the thin areas. A problem waiting to happen. Much better controlled by masking and spraying after the metal coat is applied.

Last edited:
Agree with Andy and to save further time with mixing I grabbed an old cleaned out Tamiya paint bottle and mixed up a bunch. Got this idea from Wayne and have started mixing batches

Yes, silver coat first, then laid down some white before the yellow to provide coverage.

View attachment 745405
Read (or re-read ?? senior moments here) you 2022 build and understood the sequence. I decided to follow that and did the BM coat over; all but the red (masked off) tail section. Paint now drying. Pics to come once I get the aluminum coloring on the flaps and the yellow on the leading ege. Need to do the black on the nose as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back