**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 USN SB2U-3 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That doesn't look to bad Ralph, and depending on the angle of the light one can see the difference in the shading. It's a subtle job your trying and its more in the wing roots, cockpit side and ammo hatches that you'll get most ware. :thumbright: :D
Just now ordered a darker shade of the FS35189. Should be enough to represent the kit, and the actual craft. Of course it only cost a bit over $100; can't order paint without kits you know!!

That doesn't look to bad Ralph, and depending on the angle of the light one can see the difference in the shading. It's a subtle job your trying and its more in the wing roots, cockpit side and ammo hatches that you'll get most ware. :thumbright: :D
Another comment. It's the sun weathering as opposed to the actual usage wear that I'm trying to do. Will also do more use weathering this build. Love challenges...

Nursing duties MUCH less, but still chief cook and bottle washer. Finally some bench time!

This kit seems to need four hands to build! With the 'not so accurate parts placement instructions' and very little align pins/surfaces, a lot of guessing was done. Some not so good. Had to split the fuselage joints, in the front, to remove the pilot cockpit after discovering it was in the wrong place. And after 'multiple' fittings I finally got the cages and the seat where they are suppose to be. A bit of cleaning up to smooth some now exposed previous glued areas, and I'm ready to move on.

Pilot Pit 1.jpg

16 - That's the number of times this 'kit' has been suspended over the trash bin! Wow, what a kit. I could have built another 1/72 kit in the time it took to get the just the landing gear attached and looking straight. Spoiled I guess by Eduard and Airfix? Saner judgment (now that's a concept) took over, I have too much time invested already and it really will be a nice shelf addition, if I can figure where, and how, to attach the remaining parts! Gray primer on, ready to start the finish colors.

Gray Primer 2.jpg

Gray Primer.jpg

Looks impressive from here Raph, especially considering the difficulties!
Thanks. It will eventually be a decent finished kit, it's just the assembly frustrations. For instance; the bomb swing arm has to be attached through a notch under tan observation window, which therefore can't be installed until arm is. In order to get the arm in the correct position I had to temporarily install bomb. Now I can install window which is a poor enoug fit that will require some gap filling along the frame seams. So now I have a big breaky part just waiting to be knocked off.

Sounds awkward enough. Shame they didn't make the bomb arm so you could click it into place afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back