**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Nakajima Ki-43-ll Hayabusa - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model: Nakajima Ki.43-ll Hayabusa (Oscar) Kit #JT-82
Scale: 1:48
Add-ons: Rising Decals, "Dying Sun Pt.III / S.B.S Model resin innards

Nakajima Ki-43-II Oscar was captured at Hollandia, New Guinea in 1944

1698873791132.jpeg

DA WEBS
History of the aircraft and a few extra photos here including one that might change my painting plans... TAIU-SWPA XJ005

Last edited:
The innards

1698881509948.png

1698881554970.png

1698881608293.png

The innards innards

1698881681285.png

Deecals. The final option on the sheet. The Ki.45 became a night-fighter a GB or two ago

1698881801853.png

So....how did this become a zombie. Well, I'll tells ya. This was started as a GB back in 2017 though I couldn't find which one, possibly GB 36. I started the build by removing the relevant plastic to accept some resin bits. When it came time to test fit the canopy over the resin rear deck I couldn't find the clear sprue and I know it was in the kit when I unwrapped the box. I briefly thought about ordering the sprue from Hasegawa the the huge cost of part and shipping and this was put aside. 436 days later. To paraphrase Chief Dan George in "Little Big Man".....This makes my heart soar. Whilst looking for a part at the bottom of the box for my GB-41 George build I saw another decal sheet which belonged to this kit. I don't know why it was in the box. I picked up the plastic wrap and felt something under the decal sheet. It was my clear sprue for the Ki.43

Last edited:
Before I post the box innards in Post #2, I'll post the colour I'm doing the cockpit innards. The article is quite long... Useful Colours ~ Army Interiors Part Two but it boils down to time frame. Here is Nick's conclusion

1. Dark blue-grey, # 3, for early and mid-production examples
2. Yellowish olive green, # 29 for mid-production to late-production examples
3. Olive drab, # 7, for late production examples
4. Translucent yellow-green aotake as a possibility on some mid-war examples.
5. Blue aotake.

Mine seems to be #2 so I'll do it thusly

1698878982061.png

I thought the moving surfaces were a grey-green colour but they just seem to be the colour on the aircraft

The thing about resin and its refined detail is the painting challenge but I'm a glutton for punishment and can't resist taking it on. Cool engine George. :D :thumbright:

Looking forward to this one Geo. I've found Millman's site useful too but I find that it's contradictory at times. Seems earlier-posted conclusions are updated with new info so filters need to be applied.

In PG this morning seeing my chemical doctor. My PSA number is holding at a rock bottom .03. The wife always comes in with me and her and the doc take turns ragging on me when I complain about something. As long as the number is super low, doc is very happy. Anyhoo....modellin'. I spent the afternoon grinding, sanding and test fitting the fuselage sides and cockpit floor which is drop fit in after the fuselage halves are joined. I prefer this method as you can check to make sure the floor isn't going to interfere with fit. Ignore the floor looking slightly askew. It all fits snug until I put the wings on for a photo op. This will be CA'd into final position later. The wings are darn near seamless when I hold everything in position

IMG_0001.JPG

And so here we are, Step 1 done

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Canucks on in 20 minutes so that's it for tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back