**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Yesterday I got stuck into some big-time detailing in the wheel well area. The yellow circled areas below show scratch additions made to spruce things up. Compare with photos of the bare parts in the previous post.

On the starboard side (photo below), the middle of the firewall saw the addition of a rectangular junction box as well as the cylindrical object and its support (upper circle). The latter is the fuel cut-off valve and the JB will receive the generator cabling which will be added after I lay some paint down. The lower circle shows additions made to the moulded-in fuel strainer. There is still to be a pipe added at the top of this unit which routes up to the engine fuel pump.

24030501.jpg

On the port side, the moulded electric emergency fuel pump (circled) got the pump body added as well as suction and discharge fuel lines made of solder and wire insulation. The motor support got a piece of sticky-backed aluminum foil added to represent the support strap.

24030502.jpg

I should be back later today with a bit more to show.

Thanks gents, some more as promised. A coat of light grey paint has been applied to the firewall and engine bearers (I used Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey) and an oil wash done. After that, I added brake lines (red), some unidentified tubes (green), and the cables from the generator (yellow). The hose couplings on the fuel lines were painted black and then clamps were added using thin strips of aluminum foil tape.

24030501.jpg
24030503.jpg

The oil tank was painted as well and black decal strips added to represent rub strips under the support straps which are aluminum foil tape. Yeah the one on the left is a bit misaligned but the glue on the back of the foil is springy so resists movement. I'll try to center it some more yet.

24030502.jpg

With those items done, I glued in the engine plug which fortunately fit onto the various strut assemblies without too much drama.

24030504.jpg

Once that has set firmly, the oil tank will be added along with some of the visible lines to and from the tank to the coolers under the wings. Thanks again for your interest, comments, and likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back