European Union Copyright Directive :: Possible Legislation affecting the internet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The legal proceeding pertaining to Pell have been suppressed at the request of the prosecution in his trial, to minimize the chances of a successful appeal by his defence team on the basis of media bias affecting the jury.

its got nothing to to with a "Gov'ment Conspiracy"

Whether trial data can be "copywrited" I very much doubt it. Articles in the press or written into commercial text is a different matter.

This was seen here because it is not in relation to his child sex court cases. George Pell: Pope Francis removes Australian cardinal from inner circle

The last in relation to these court cases were variations of Prosecutors seek ban on reporting of George Pell trials.

He was found guilty of some charges in December and, AFAIK, is on trial at present facing additional charges, none of which can be reported here. From memory he was to be sentenced on the December findings this month but my overseas relatives have not seen anything on that or the current trial.

Unfortunately I deleted the December pdfs. The best were the NZ Herald on the day after the verdict where they announced they were publishing even though being the NZ arm of an Aus news group (News Ltd) so that Australians could learn what the Australian government and lawyers wanted kept hidden. That page dissappeared within a few hours along with the CNN and BBC articles.

If an Australian does a search of the nzherald.co.nz site for "George Pell" this is the result
View attachment 529765

By the way - these are screenshots of your linked page - are they identical for you?

View attachment 529763
View attachment 529764
Fairly close - slight differences in layout between the ipad and computer but the order in the articles was identical.

It's possible that I may have been in error as to Obama. It was the uranium that he and Hillary sold to the Russians. Will passage of this regulation lead to a European Internet Access Tax?

Umm, just a bit. The current president (quite vocal in how much he hates Obama) hated Net Neutrality because it took money away from billionaires.

And it had nothing to do with "not renewing." It was REVOKED. One is passive, the other is actively hostile.

On the other hand, Net Neutrality had little to do with content and everything to do with charging sites more money for bandwidth.

On the gripping hand, "The power to tax implies the power to destroy." Even if the taxer is a private company instead of the government.

And screen-caps would be blocked by upload filter.
Isn't automated image recognition a lost cause? Even on my phone, I could open the screen cap in Pixlr and stretch it just a tiny bit in one (or both) dimensions and let it resample. Or I could apply a sepia filter. Or add a border. Or adjust the color balance a tiny amount. Or combine a few of these.

Throwing together an app to use the random.org API to randomly apply effects would be trivial. It could add lines of "snow" to the top/bottom/left/right of an image, scatter bits of snow over the image, invert the color in parts of the image, etc., etc. Seriously, automated recognition to try find all of the variants where black text was changed to white and the background was changed to any of a vast number of high-contrast colors would be a nightmare. Even if that could be done, other effects, and effect in combination, would end up being impossible.

Heck, you could just slice up a screenshot and post the images one after the other. Imperfect for so many uses, but yet another problem that recognition needs to deal with.

Yep, all of this is going to stop unsophisticated users, but as the array of tools to get around it grows, and as they get easier to use, the more it will just be a waste of everyone's time.

The legal proceeding pertaining to Pell have been suppressed at the request of the prosecution in his trial, to minimize the chances of a successful appeal by his defence team on the basis of media bias affecting the jury.

its got nothing to to with a "Gov'ment Conspiracy"

Whether trial data can be "copywrited" I very much doubt it. Articles in the press or written into commercial text is a different matter.

Todays news on ABC Australia Why was George Pell's trial held in secret?

Washington Post has some excellent coverage as well

Given how some people have been convicted in media circuses here, I have some sympathy for the Australians trying to hold fair trials. Roger Stone seems to have been trying to poison the juror pool, get the case changed to another judge, or something, so the joy of Twitter is that you can't always blame the press any more.

However, my belief in the critical role of the free press overrides this. I just wish that people would strike a balance.

We had a high profile murder case here that was in serious jeopardy of being a mis-trial because social media and British news outlets broke a suppression order.
Everyone has a right to a fair trial, and people need to realise that if they stop that from happening, then the only other option is 'no trial' - i.e. acquittal

"The power to tax implies the power to destroy." Even if the taxer is a private company instead of the government.
Especially if it's a private company! The power to tax is generally the preserve of a sovereign nation -- not a private organizatoin...

Last edited:
Pells conviction is out now and its pretty shocking. I didn't know the suppression order was to facilitate other proceedings that have now been discontinued.

He still has a right to appeal, but in the last few minutes has waived his bail application

Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt went on the tele last night stating he thought Pell was innocent. truth is, we don't know either way until the appeals process is exhausted . If he is guilty, he doesn't look sorry.

Last edited:
While I don't have an argument towards protecting copyrighted material, such as complete works (either literary, musical or photographic), this law will also prohibit even quoting published works, which is a huge lart of debates here on the forums, as a debate often requires quoting specific information (again, quoting a portion, not copying and pasting entire works).

What the ultimate goal of the EU copyright law is, will be essentially to make users licensed in order to access content. And with that goal, backed by Article 11, a "snippet tax" will be levied on sites that even use a portion (or quote) of a copyrighted article, again, like exists everywhere on this site in the various threads. I should also mention that I have posted my own photos to this site (which have embedded copyright info in the files), but technically, under the proposed copyright law, members of this site would have to be licensed in order to view them.

Clearly, this would mean the end of smaller websites, as they cannot afford the required file scanning servers as well as the fees and taxes. Larger sites will be able to afford the nessecary hardware, but this additional cost will have to be passed on to end-users in order to stay solvent.

The issue goes far beyond what I've covered, but in the end, the goal is to literally turn the internet into a licensed revenue generator and that's not acceptable.

I agree. I produce a lot of content and have had it shared by others in whole and in part, which is annoying. But there is such a thing as 'Fair Use' - if you can't quote excerpts or parts of images etc. it makes it very hard to discuss anything.

I personally believe this is more about creating income streams, not for individual artists or content producers like myself, but for big firms that own a lot of copyrights.

Yes you are correct as we all now know.

And I agree that providing a fair trail is critical.

Given the honesty of many in the legal profession we must also consider is this about a fair trial or rigging/gaming the system. For example
  • Australia has for the last 3 months has been following the story about a senior lawyer who was also a police informer and grassing on her clients to ensure they were convicted
  • A young sportsman was killed in Brisbane a couple of years ago and it was all caught on CCTV. His lawyer pleaded not guilty, presumably so that he could get paid for over a week in court time instead of just a couple of hours
  • In the US the lawyers for the guy who recently kidnapped a girl and murdered her parents are pleading not guilty and crying they cannot get a fair trial because the perp made a full confession and bragged how smart he was to the arresting police. That confession is all on video and no doubt they want it suppressed.
I remember visiting a kiwi colleague in NZ around 2000 and he was extremely upset that a school friend of his had been convicted of rape. Around year six that friend earned the nickname Shorty as a result of an accident where the front wheel of his bicycle dragged his penis up inside the mudguard, severing it completely at the base. The female judge totally suppressed that fact pretrial and so the jury found him guilty. Appeals to the minister were ignored.

Several years later I was told that the Privy Council or International Court of Justice overturned many or all her rape convictions. In one other overturned case the convicted person was out of the country as clearly proven by his passport and other travel documents, and his travel companions, and she suppressed all that evidence pretrial from the jury and press as well.

My family includes one lawyer and a judge. The latter has often said that you must always remember that lawyer is an Olde Englishe spelling of liar.

Trump's lawyer Rudy G is on record recently for publicly revealing the legal professions ten commandments for the first time
1. The truth is not the truth
2. The truth is not the truth
3. The truth is not the truth .......

Last edited:
They're proposing to push the GDPR vote up to March 23 -- it almost seems that they're working in direct opposition to the will of the people of the EU.

fubar57 fubar57
Well, they're saying they will -- I'll believe it when I see it.

"The text of the proposed legislation has not been released "

Lip service - sort of along the lines of "pass the bill first, then you can read the details".

The Internet was working fine under the direction of ICAAN, but the last administration passed control over to a consortium based in the EU and now we have all sorts of shenanigans going on.

If it works, don't fix it.

Who knows what the text of this "Net Neutrality" legislation will end up actually being? Maybe they will slip something like this into it

Off the bat it'd require
  1. Companies to label bots using their own bots: Human oversight would be taken out of the equation
  2. All accounts to be registered with the SEC: It would presumably require online anonymization services to be outlawed.
  3. Abolish Article 230: This basically would make websites far more likely to take down anything they weren't 100% sure was totally kosher because they'd be subjected to lawsuits they are currently exempt from, and would probably probably also bar parody and satire.
  4. Establish a Publish Initiative for Media Literacy: It'd amount to a ministry of truth (let me give you a tip, the people in power always will list their actions as the truth whether or not they're full of shit).
  5. Implement policies similar to the EU's GDPR, which includes open censorship provisions.
  6. It would also establish a system that would allow one to have their "online value" determined much like the Chinese "social media credit" system which can affect a person's ability to get jobs, and ultimately live their lives because they don't like their behavior (much of the technology used by China was developed in North America, Europe, and Israel -- many suspect that China is being used as a proving ground for all the totalitarian technology that one day will be imposed upon us all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back