>> GB #34 - START QUIBBLING

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have some! The are great! Much sharper than the older ones, however nothing beats a scalpel for sharp. I just can't find a handle to fit the blades I have. Scalpels are bloody confusing in what works with what.

Robert, not sure wherein your scalpel confusion lies. Blades are of various shapes and sizes all numbered just like X-acto blades and most of them are very similiar though the X-actos tend to be thicker and will take more pressure.
Scalpel handles also come in a wide variety of shapes and styles. It is important to note that NOT all blades fit all handles so make sure the blade style you want fits the handle. Blades #9 through #17 fit handle #3 while #18 through #26 are for handle #4. GENERALLY handles #3 and #4 are the most useful for modeling and personally I prefer the #4 handle in the comfort style with a #36 blade. I also have several style X-acto handles with several blade styles though #11 seems to be the most useful the majority of the time
228bad91ef24a2d87da05f9df7f6b7c2_zpsf3b329f6.jpg
2df1bec66fb0a7802dacee93f979a412Blade handle1.jpg
handle_4_w_4_blades.jpg

Robert, not sure wherein your scalpel confusion lies. Blades are of various shapes and sizes all numbered just like X-acto blades and most of them are very similiar though the X-actos tend to be thicker and will take more pressure.
Scalpel handles also come in a wide variety of shapes and styles. It is important to note that NOT all blades fit all handles so make sure the blade style you want fits the handle. Blades #9 through #17 fit handle #3 while #18 through #26 are for handle #4. GENERALLY handles #3 and #4 are the most useful for modeling and personally I prefer the #4 handle in the comfort style with a #36 blade. I also have several style X-acto handles with several blade styles though #11 seems to be the most useful the majority of the time
View attachment 370808 View attachment 370809 View attachment 370810
The supplier I have found, the only one, sells blades as for LG, SM, MED handles not fitment numbers. So I now have 200 blades of the types that I wanted that do not fit any of the 3 types of handles I have. Their handles use an entirely different numbering scheme that does not match the one for their blades so I gave up.

Got a Vampire T.11, Gnat T.1, Jet Provost T.5, Hunter T.7 (conversion kit with Academy Hunter F.6), and Hawk T.1, all 1/48th scale, and a possible Spitfire T.9 scratch-build project, again 1/48th scale.

Thanks my friend.
If i do it, it will be this one, for my friend Max, who got a flight in it in 2015 - lucky sod !
The original aircraft was flown by New Zealander Johhny Houlton (as a standard Mk.IX), and retains his Squadron markings.

Max 3.jpg

Look forward to it Terry if you do. My options are a PT-19 Stearman (RCAF) and then a T-6. Have to check references on this one and see what it takes to make a Harvard IV

Geo, have a look at my Harvard build, somewhere in the S to F threads - it's a Mk.IV, built from the Italeri (ex Occidental) kit.
Main external differences are a longer exhaust, and the rear (fixed) canopy section was slightly longer. I 'winged' it by adding an extra vertical frame which, although not 100% accurate, it still being short, looked OK.
Also, many Mk.IVs had the main gear doors removed.

Harvard Build 190.jpg

Quibble...Quibble...are you then switching the build to trainers? Or keeping the original "Prototypes/Weird". If I get my Maus finished I was thinking of my Huckebein 1/48 as an entry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back