GB-37 1:24 Hawker Hurricane I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A small bit of progress to report. I have glued the cockpit assembly to the starboard interior of the fuselage and taped it shut to hold things in place. Clearly it will be a daunting task when it comes time to glue the fuselage halves together as the cockpit will need to line up just right and the tail wheel assembly as well. As I have no desire to display the wing guns, more due to the potential of losing one of the cover panels at some point, I have secured the panels to the upper wing surfaces. Small gaps will be taken care of later with a bit of putty. Construction of the wheel well box has begun. I plan on painting the entire structure in bare aluminum unless otherwise advised it should be in the cockpit green finish. Poking around I believe the air tank shown in the picture which is mounted along the front wall of the box, is the same colour as the rest of the well.

I had every intention of getting the landing gear started but the first couple of pieces baffled me for some 15 minutes and I could not figure out how things were to go from looking at the instructional diagrams. I decided it was best to set it aside for some time and come back to it later and have another go.

Anyhow, here are a few pics with the update.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Good stuff Jeff.The undercarriage air bottle at the front of the wheel bays was finished in a light grey colour.
Thanks Terry.

A bit of progress today.

Tail wheel has been assembled and glued into the starboard side of the fuselage. Once again the fuselage has been taped together to assure that the tail wheel assembly lines up properly with the slotted area in the interior port side. Main landing gear (undercarriage) doors and legs have been started. Some sanding will be done to remove the rough bits.

I set the wings together as well as set the rudder into place to give some idea of the overall size of this beast. She is posing beside my 1:48 scale Hurricane.

That is all for now.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

A small bit more in terms of progress. I have sprayed the wheel well box along with the inside of the gear doors and legs. A small amount of detailing to do including the painting of the oxygen bottle as per Terry's information. The main wheels have also been put together. Has anyone ever tried to dull down the gloss that these rubber tires (tyres) give off and if so, what did you do to take care of this issue?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice progress Jeff. To dull down the tyres and at the same time weather them you can spray a highly thinned matt earth colour and/or use pigments to simulate dust and dirt. I usually use pigments as I find them more realistic for dust effects

Good stuff Jeff.
Before adding anything to the tyres, they can be given a more realistic look by rubbing them over a piece of coarse cloth, or, very lightly, over fine wet and dry paper. This should remove the shine, and give a more realistic rubber look, and it also helps the adhesion of any paints or pigments.
It's normally best to do this before fitting to the wheels, so if you're able to safely remove the wheels, do so, and rub the tyres over all their area.

Nothing to add to that. I use the Tamiya tire black as it seems to have the right sheen right out of the bottle. BTW, that bottle in the wheel bay is an air receiver tank for the pneumatic systems, not oxygen. It's pressurized via a compressor driven off the back of the Merlin cam shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back