GB-38 1:72 P-51B - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, wait...... is the color the Luftwaffa used on noses RLM04 then?????

Ah yes, silly me. Just failed to research the obvious.

Cheers, OLD Bill

Last edited:
I would assume same as Andy, Bill. Can't see them mixing up a special yellow just for the captured birds.

What scale jug btw? If 1:72, you can have the markings for T9 + FK from the Propagteam sheet I'm using.

Parts coming off the sprues and being cleaned up at moment, and thinking about how far to go with the cockpit and u/c well details.

I'm expecting the 1/48th Tamiya kit delivery around the 18th. I got these decals on the way about the 22nd. Have the cockpit resin and will work on that a bit after I create a thread. Cheers.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 70
Yes, I am slowly working on it :)

In progress: moulded rear walls in u/c well removed and internal structure being built up and detailed.

More representative rather than accurate (ribs and lower wing panels would need thinning to be true to scale, for example) but trying to keep it (sort of-) simple for time and practicality sake. In any case a vast improvement over the blanked off wells most 1:72 P-51 kits seem to have.

Attachments

• STA56811.JPG
    STA56811.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 76
Cheers Wayne, Michael and Hugh!

Slow progress as usual, but doing what I can when I can. New baby on the way is a major priority at moment!
Once a couple of small (but time consuming) areas are sorted, progress should be alot quicker hopefully.

BTW, is anyone familiar with the rear cockpit layout of the P-51B? All kits come with a P-51D type fuel tank, but a cutaway I have shows no fuel tank, and instead alot of radios on racks.
I think I remember reading a long time go that the fueslage fuel tank was a modification for long range missions, but 1) don't know if this was introduced in B's/C's or just D's and 2) could be my memory playing tricks... Anyone know for sure?

Won't see jack in the end anyway, but there is still a visible difference between the top of a fuel tank and a radio rack :)

Cheers, and hope to get more done (and pics up) shortly!

From the Operating Manual for the B:

upload_2018-6-18_19-42-57.png

Just two main wing tanks on the B according to the notes. Perhaps the C got the fuselage tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back