GB-48 1/48 Junkers Ju 188 - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
User Name: Mainly28s
Name: Olaf
Category: Novice or beginner (I cite my reduced motor function from a stroke- I may upgrade to intermediate at some point: whatever teh esteemed members of the judging panel thing is appropriate, based on what and how I show it here.)
Kit: Dragon Junkers Ju 188
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: After-market decals to provide serials for a machine at Rechlin (only the Stammkennzeichen). Possibly True-Details resin weighted wheels, maybe some Eduard self-adhesive cockpit photo-etch. Some random crew figures.

01-01.jpg

My machine will be a Junkers Ju 188 A-1 torpedo-carrier based at Rechlin-Lärz, a Luftwaffe test centre. This particular machine was flown by Hans-Werner Lerche at various times during the war, as recounted in his memoirs. I chose this, as I'm working my way through the aircraft on his log-book, as mentioned in my bio. It is a "best-guess" of the livery, as I haven't been able to get photographic evidence. However, that said: I'm assuming it's a standard colour-scheme (so no fancy stripes, squiggles or spots), with the Stammkennzeichen DF+EW. Unfortunately I have not been able to establish a WNr.

The kit will be assembled straight from the box, with minimal alterations, and all painting will be with a big hairy stick. The only definite change will be the use of after-market decals to provide the codes. I purchased the kit on eBay a few years ago, and was quite surprised to find the resin wheels and the etch kit in it, so may or may not use them, depending on how far along I get.

Last edited:
So- here's my little collection of pre-build on-the-sprue pictures:

Firstly- the full contents of the box, as I purchased it.

01-02.jpg

Secondly, the fuselage halves, and the sprue that provides the bits to make it a Ju 188 instead of the older Ju 88.
02-02.jpg

Thirdly, the wings and tail-planes.
02-03.jpg

Fourthly, the engines, props, wheels and torpedos (which turn this into a valid entry in the GB).
02-04.jpg

The clear parts.
02-05.jpg

Finally, the photo-etch instrument panels and weighted wheels- bonus!
02-06.jpg

I build for fun, and know I'm nowhere near the standard of the other entrants, but I hope I'll manage to finish her in the alotted timespan. It's one I've been nerving myself to start for a while, as the Ju 188 and Ju 388 are two of my all-time favourites.

As far as the kit goes, it seems to be fairly complete, and looks like a Ju 188, so I'm happy.

So this is my workbench while it's still in little pieces and the bits can still fit into the box.
PXL_20201110_164956000.jpg

While getting the bits together, I found a box of pilots and groundcrew. I think I'd like to add some of those in, as the cockpit will look a little too empty for my liking. The kneeling figure will most probably become an erk, kneeling next to or behind the rearward facing crewman, and another will be holding onto the ladder, while the pilot's running up the engines. Will this be acceptable?

In the picture below, I've assembled the two cockpit halves, and put the floor in. The radio station has had it's PE added. This panel and the long panel next to the pilot's seat should have a load of PE added, but it's too tiny- my shaky hands (and fuzzy eyesight) can't deal with that. Decision made. I'm leaving out the tiny stuff I can't do.
PXL_20201110_165013702.jpg

Here's the side panel, also with added PE.
PXL_20201110_165032359.jpg

Welcome to the asylum! Don't mind this bunch of reprobates. They are mostly harmless. Seriously, good to have you jumping in, Olaf. There are a bunch of great folks here and many have great ideas. We can all learn from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back