Handley Page Halifax

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Halifax Mk I - From an Interallied Information Office publication :

Halifax.jpg

Hi. Totally new here.

This is a picture of the 'Winsome WAAF'

This was my grandfather's 'main' aircraft, he flew 20 missions in here. Sadly she was shot down later in the war with a different crew.

This is from a private family collection of photos so I'm imagine it's never been seen in public before.

Attachments

• Winsome WAAF.jpg
    Winsome WAAF.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 96
Served with RAAF 466 Sqn under RAF control 10/45. 51 ops "Kelly Gang" & latter "Waltzing Matilda" G-AGXA to Oz by Capt G.N.Wickner.

This is a great wee story, Geoff Wikner was one of those adventurous types who branched into all sorts of things, including building racing cars and aircraft, the one which he lent his name to was the Foster Wikner Wicko wickohistory

There's a pretty seaside town in New South Wales called Nelson Bay and the Halifax Holiday Park is named after... Well, that's easy to figure out, and there's a memorial there to Geoff Wikner.

Hi. Totally new here.

This is a picture of the 'Winsome WAAF'

This was my grandfather's 'main' aircraft, he flew 20 missions in here. Sadly she was shot down later in the war with a different crew.

This is from a private family collection of photos so I'm imagine it's never been seen in public before.

Winsome Waaf Handley Page Halifax III LW497 W

1629024446207.png

Freeman's Flying Circus, from top to bottom: Pilot F/Lt W.C. "Chick" Freeman, Navigator F/O T.C. "Wacko" Walker, Bomb Aimer G.V."Smithie" Smith, Flight Engineer Sgt. H. "Junior" Hawthorn, Wireless Operator R.E. "Dickie" Hughes, bottom left: M/ Upper Sgt. E.W. "Dagwood" Donkin and bottom right: Tail/gun Sgt. H. "Mick" Reddy. Ernest Donkin was posted to 158 Squadron at RAF Lisset, where he joined the crew of the Winsome WAAF (a Mark III Halifax), named Freeman's Flying Circus after their pilot W.C. "Chick" Freeman.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back