History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Persistent questioning and healthy inquisitiveness are the first requisite for acquiring learning of any kind."
M.K.Ghandi.

Cheers

Steve

I had an Irish guy berating me for the bombing of Dresden AFTER Germany had surrendered.

You should have berated him about the tens of thousands of allied soldiers, civilians, PoWs and concentration camp inmates who died AFTER the bombing of Dresden.
You could add in all the Germans still to die, deemed unworthy of the destiny chosen for them by the Nazi leadership and not worth saving.

Don't worry, not one of a group of thirty somethings could even give me the dates for WW2 to the nearest year. I'd already tried them, with no success, on Dunkirk/BoB (they were all British) and the dropping of the atomic bombs.

Go back further and things get worse.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I had an Irish guy berating me for the bombing of Dresden AFTER Germany had surrendered.
Sadly, I am not at all surprised.

I don't understand how history has taken such a back seat in this day and age.

When I was in Junior High (7th - 8th grade) were were learning about the Roman Empire, the Greeks and Western Civilization as a whole.

I just had a recent "discussion" with a younger person who is currently attending UC Berkley (a VERY liberal university), who emotionally told me that the U.S. had no right to drop Atomic weapons on the Japanese, so they were of course justified in attacking Pearl Harbor for retaliation.

When I heard that, I was nearly speechless and asked them "perhaps you have the timeline backwards?" and they told me (almost shouting, actually) to learn real history.

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that...

You should have berated him about the tens of thousands of allied soldiers, civilians, PoWs and concentration camp inmates who died AFTER the bombing of Dresden.
You could add in all the Germans still to die, deemed unworthy of the destiny chosen for them by the Nazi leadership and not worth saving.

Don't worry, not one of a group of thirty somethings could even give me the dates for WW2 to the nearest year. I'd already tried them, with no success, on Dunkirk/BoB (they were all British) and the dropping of the atomic bombs.

Go back further and things get worse.

Cheers

Steve

Everyone here in the US (present company here in the forum excempt of course) thinks WW2 was only from 1941 to 1945.

Sadly, I am not at all surprised.

I don't understand how history has taken such a back seat in this day and age.

When I was in Junior High (7th - 8th grade) were were learning about the Roman Empire, the Greeks and Western Civilization as a whole.

I just had a recent "discussion" with a younger person who is currently attending UC Berkley (a VERY liberal university), who emotionally told me that the U.S. had no right to drop Atomic weapons on the Japanese, so they were of course justified in attacking Pearl Harbor for retaliation.

When I heard that, I was nearly speechless and asked them "perhaps you have the timeline backwards?" and they told me (almost shouting, actually) to learn real history.

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that...

The education system here in the US has gone to shit. It is embarrassing. My wife is a Biology teacher at a college here. She is appalled at their level of education. She has to teach them basic things that used to be (and still are in other countties) tought in 9th grade.

But then again the sciences are becoming less and less important to thr US population it seems. Very sad if you ask me...

The education system here in the US has gone to shit. It is embarrassing. My wife is a Biology teacher at a college here. She is appalled at their level of education. She has to teach them basic things that used to be (and still are in other countties) tought in 9th grade.

But then again the sciences are becoming less and less important to thr US population it seems. Very sad if you ask me...

AAAaaaannd THAT'S why my wife and I homeschool. Strangely they are far ahead of their counterparts in public school when it comes to oh...everything.

When I think of the truly heroic people we had to look up to 50+ years ago, I feel sad knowing that later generations have no idea who they were. I once wanted to be a history teacher but what passes for education now makes me want to puke. We were educated by real teachers instead of what now passes for educators. Berkley is where everything started turning into sh!t. If I had a kid wanting to go there, I would have to perform a post-partum abortion. At least there are people here with real intelligence instead of the morons spouting utter non-sense. It's good to have friends like all of you.

I know nothing....(with bad Spanish accent!)
UH...are you sure you have the accent correct?

Schultz[c].jpg

Had a very similar thing with a very well educated pub quiz master.
The question was "What do the French call the English Channel?".
Neither I, nor anyone else, could convince him that the answer was Le Manche (the sleeve), and not Pas de Calais !!!
That's the rough equivalent of saying that we (British) call Le Manche, Kent !!!

Had a very similar thing with a very well educated pub quiz master.
The question was "What do the French call the English Channel?".
Neither I, nor anyone else, could convince him that the answer was Le Manche (the sleeve), and not Pas de Calais !!!
That's the rough equivalent of saying that we (British) call Le Manche, Kent !!!

.....as in Clark Kent??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back