History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moving into the Cold War-era with this one. Someone claimed that the MiG-17 could easily defeat the F-14 in a dogfight because he did it in War Thunder.
Why am I not surprised?

Many years ago, on a CFS3 Multiplayer server, an idiot loaded a MiG-15 into an open Europe 1945 map.

I shot him down with my Me262A-1a and he screamed that I was "hack cheating" and I explained that first of all, the Soviets didn't have a MiG-15 during WWII, and it didn't help that he didn't know how to fly the thing.

His response was that he was pretty sure that the MiG-15 was in WWII, he had read it on the internet...

Btw, if he can fly with the MiG-17, we can test it in real!

I know lots of Tomcat ex pilots.

You can watch this guy's video and either laugh or cringe. Also, the Iran-Iraq war is a rather fascinating topic considering the F-14's success. It's from the same War Thunder Youtuber I mentioned who claimed that he could embarrass a Tomcat with a MiG-17 :lol:

View: https://youtu.be/JxsFz1DP5i0

Last edited:
Well, I had a conversation with a 20 year old guy this afternoon, who was telling me all about the Me163.

Aparently, the Germans copied the North American F-86's wing AND it was supposed to have jet power.
However, since all the jet engines were to be for the Me262 (per Hitler's orders), they put a V-2 rocket engine in it instead.

There was an awkward silence after sharing his informative bit of history and I think I may have blinked once.

Finally, I asked him if he played War Thunder, to which he replied "yes!".

I said "well you need to stop it. seriously".

Well, I had a conversation with a 20 year old guy this afternoon, who was telling me all about the Me163.

Aparently, the Germans copied the North American F-86's wing AND it was supposed to have jet power.
However, since all the jet engines were to be for the Me262 (per Hitler's orders), they put a V-2 rocket engine in it instead.

There was an awkward silence after sharing his informative bit of history and I think I may have blinked once.

Finally, I asked him if he played War Thunder, to which he replied "yes!".

I said "well you need to stop it. seriously".
Sage advice.

Moving into the Cold War-era with this one. Someone claimed that the MiG-17 could easily defeat the F-14 in a dogfight because he did it in War Thunder.

Well we shouldn't use WT as a source of reliable data, but when simulated engagements were flown between MiG-17s and various USAF and USN types in the late '60s the message was clear: only engage the MiG on your terms. In slow-speed manoeuvring dog fights the MiG always won out. Advice was to use speed in order to pull out of range and only re-engage if the odds were in your favour. It therefore doesn't take too much of an extrapolation to assume that the same would be true of an F-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back