"Inpact" 1/48th scale Gloster Gladiator Review.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
"Inpact" Gloster Gladiator, 1/48th scale 'Classic Fighters Series' - In-box kit review.

Note - due to the number of photos, this review will be divided between two posts

"Inpact" were a small independent company, based in London, UK, and only operated from 1967 until around 1970.
They produced a small number of kits in the then very limited 1/48th scale, which were divided between the 'Classic Fighter Series' (four aircraft type from the 1930's) and six types from the early days of aviation, the latter probably inspired by the (then) recent movie "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines".
The 1930's 'Classic' range included the Gladiator, along with a Bristol Bulldog, Hawker Fury, and a Fairey Flycatcher, all of which were ahead of their time as far as detail and quality were concerned, compared to the average kits of the day, the overwhelming majority of which, at this period, were in 1/72nd scale, with a smattering of 1/48th scale from the likes of Monogram.
With the demise of "Inpact", the moulds, were acquired by Lindbergh, who have released the Gladiator a number of times over the years, both in the original Mk1 version (two-blade , Watts propellor), and as a Mk.II, with 3-blade prop., and the Mk1 has also been re-boxed under the Pyro, Lifelike and Merit labels.
For 34 years, until Roden released their first Gladiator kit in this scale, a Mk1, in 2002, these were the only available injection-moulded kits of this classic biplane fighter.

Bearing in mind that the Gladiator reviewed here was released in 1968, the surface detail, and smaller detail parts, were quite advanced for the time, with fine texture, not over-stated, representing the fabric surfaces, and a mixture of raised and engraved surface detail., with some basic, but very good for the time, internal detail parts.
Although some areas were simplified, there were also some nicely done details, the 'two prong' pitot of the Gladiator being an example, and although the cockpit lacked side wall detail, a separate seat, floor, control column, instrument panel and rear 'shelf', along with a four-part pilot figure, provided internal detail that, at the time, was rarely, if ever, matched to this standard, on any model kit in any scale.
Clear parts, although fairly thick by today's standards, were well moulded and very clear, despite their thickness, with the Gladiator kit providing a separate windscreen, and two canopies, one open, one closed, and the series even included a 'bobbin' of 'Invisible' thread for the rigging, along with a rigging diagram and instructions ( The 'Bulldog' in my stash has a reel of fine wire, in place of the thread).
The decal sheet was simple, providing the roundels and fin flashes, colour Squadron 'flashes' and serial numbers, but was nicely printed and in register, with solid colours and, from my memory of 52 years ago, went on without problems, laying down nicely, long before the days of clear coating and decal solutions !
As was common in many kits of the period, a two-part, clear plastic display stand was also included, with a suitable decal identifying the aircraft type.
In order to save space, I haven't bothered illustrating such things as the stand or the instruction sheet, but suffice to say that the latter, printed on two sides of a single, glossy, A4 sheet, were clear and comprehensive, with a single 'exploded' drawing of the kit parts, all numbered, a further diagram for the rigging, and printed instructions for the assembly stages, rigging, painting and decals, the latter referred to as 'transfers' in those days !

Below, and in the following post, are some photos showing the box art, the main parts, some general sprue shots, and a few detail shots, with notable details being the pitot head, separate tyres and wheel hubs, the engine and cowl parts, the latter having the correct 'grooves' for the fuselage MG's, along with the individual exhausts moulded internally, the canopy choices and other areas of interest. Not shown individually are parts such as the boarding step (nicely moulded), under-wing MG gondolas, and the rudder actuating horn.
Although internal detail is basic, extra detail and / or corrections can be added easily, especially to the side walls, and external detail can easily be enhanced as desired, even without the use of aftermarket parts, although, even 'OOB', the kit provides enough for a very nice model, with test-fitting indicating that fit of parts is good and positive. overall.

NOTE :- having problems with pic uploads, the remaining pics will be posted tomorrow, if the problem is rectified !
DSCF3755 (1).JPG
Inpact Gladiiator 5.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 6.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 7.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 16.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 15.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 12.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 13.jpg

Part 2.

Some more pics of various parts from the Inpact kit. I'll sort and post some comparisons with the Roden kit, hopefully later tonight.

Inpact gladiator 9.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 12A.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 11.jpg
Inpact Gladiator 10.jpg
Inpact gladiator 2.jpg
Inpact gladiator 3.jpg
DSCF3767.JPG

Last edited:
Looks not too bad so far. Looks like there is a separate pics for the washboard oil cooler on the starboard fuselage. Roden moulded theirs in and I'm looking closely at getting rid if it.

Yes Andy, there is a separate part for the ribbed 'washboard' oil cooler.
Once I get the photos problem sorted on this tiresome Win 10, I'll post a pic of it, with the other pics. I'll also post a selection of comparison pics, with various parts, between the Inpact and Roden kits.
It looks like the upload problem is definitely with the new PC, as anything I try to do in the way of uploading pics, or, for example, inserting into a 'Word' document, totally locks up everything, with the only way to recover being to re-start the computer.
Hopefully, this is something minor that can easily be fixed by my hardware supplier friend, and I hope he can do it quickly !

Hmm. Although I can now load pics onto my PC, I'm still having problems uploading to the forum, or, for example, to an e-mail.
It's intermittent, with either three or four pics attaching, or none, and then everything freezes, and I then need to re-start the computer.
There's a programme running in the background, using a lot (often all) of the available RAM, which seems to be a update programme, so my supplier friend is going to check this out and halt things if required, which, I hope, will cure the problem.

No error messages when this has happened, just everything frozen, with nothing at all happening anywhere.
I have had one error message (Not responding) when attempting to download pics to my folders from the camera, and a number of times, when connecting the camera, nothing at all has happened.

I've now up-dated Post #2 with more photos.

It seems the problem up-loading to the forum etc was caused by Chrome, which is 'hung up', my PC has been checked by my supplier friend, and everything is working OK, and to post pics here I've temporarily changed over to 'Edge'.
He also tried to install the latest version of 'Firefox', but it got part way through the install and then crashed.

I've now up-dated Post #2 with more photos.

It seems the problem up-loading to the forum etc was caused by Chrome, which is 'hung up', my PC has been checked by my supplier friend, and everything is working OK, and to post pics here I've temporarily changed over to 'Edge'.
He also tried to install the latest version of 'Firefox', but it got part way through the install and then crashed.
I have said that browsers like Firefox start up clones. That takes a lot of resources. And with a limeted ram your pc will hang. Also, a clean win 10 install does let a lot of services run in the back ground. Kill them. As said take a good look at your privicy settings. Every yes take also resources. Lastly compare wich version win 10 you have on your comp and what is the current. Win 10 has a nag to pull a lot of resourses updating. My laptop took about a week and was un useable during.
If not the latest keep your laptop on and connected.

Last edited:
Thanks.
The install is the latest Win 10, and the new PC has four times more processing power than my previous one. However, in order to make the transfer of all my data easier, my supplier used a system where the available RAM is more or less reduced by half, as he didn't want to lose any programmes installed. He is quite willing to do a 'clean' install, if I let him know which programmes etc I no longer need, when he will the re-install Win10 and my stuff, free of charge.
As sugested by him, I'll run this for a week or so, and then probably go for a 'clean' re-install, when both of us have the time available.

The install is the latest Win 10,

I doubt that. Roll out cd is still the same.

my supplier used a system where the available RAM is more or less reduced by half, as he didn't want to lose any programmes installed

That does not make any sense at all. RAM has nothing to do with programs. Random-access memory - Wikipedia The more RAM you get the more smooth the programs
can run. Indeed more processing power with limited ram is not advisable.

I'll run this for a week or so

Do that, but leave it on and connected. Depending connection speed it takes a while. I know win10 had quite a few big updates recently. Even my uber rig had to chew on it.

But do not loose hope. If running with the latest you will come to like win10 i am sure.

It is a shame i cant help you hands on.

It appears that the Inpact kit beats Roden on some details but bows to Roden on others. I like the crisp surface detail, especially on the nose ring and cowl. Roden's is very soft in that area. I'm having a bitch of a time filling the steps due to the 3-part cowl with uneven thicknesses.

Part 3.

To conclude this brief review, below are some comparisons between the 1968 'Inpact' kit, and the 2002 'Roden' kit, the latter still being current, along with other versions released in 2003 and later.

Current average UK retail price of the 'Roden' kit illustrated is around £29 new, with an average price of around £19 to £21 for a 'pre-owned' example from used kit dealers, and maybe a bit less via e-bay.
The original, 1968 retail price shown on my example of the 'Inpact' kit was '8/6' - that's 8 Shillings and Sixpence, or approximately 85 Pence in current UK currency. Allowing for inflation and price index over the past 52 years, this equates to approximately £14.50 in 2020.
Prices via used kit dealers for the original 'Inpact' release are around £14, with many of these being from stock clearance or collectors, and still sealed in the bags within the box (as mine was), whilst the Lindbergh, Pyro, Lifelike and Merit boxings often tend to be slightly lower in price from the same outlets, and even lower on e-bay bidding.

Comparing the two kits, and allowing for the fact that the' Inpact' kit is now 52 years old, there's not actually that much in it, with both kits having their good and not so good points ( I haven't noticed any 'bad' points in either kit).
The 'Inpact' kit can be built OOB and produce a very acceptable model and, with a little modification and scratch-building, I believe a very good model indeed can result. Some of those areas simplified, such as the wings and struts construction,, should allow an easier, less complex assembly sequence, with the advantage of being able to fit the outer sections of the upper wing after fitting the centre section and cabane struts, if desired.
With indentations in the surface where the rigging is attached, and with the 'Invisible' thread provided in the kit, rigging the model should, in theory at least, be a little easier, and the 'Inpact' instruction sheet includes a rigging diagram, together with a written guide, in stages on how to rig the model, including the length of thread to use, and the suggestion of 'drilling through' the rigging point holes.

The pics and captions below should give a reasonable overall impression of the 'Inpact' kit and the comparison between it and the much later 'Roden' offering, and I believe that , putting aside such things a the multi-choice decal options of the 'Roden' kit, the 'Inpact' kit, and to a slightly lesser extent (due to the current age of the moulds etc) the Lindbergh, Pyro etc boxings, provide a very worthy alternative to the 'Roden' kits, and at a lower price. (Note that Lindbergh also offer this kit as a Mk.II, with the 3-blade Fairey - Reed prop, so another alternative to the 'Roden' Mk.II kits).

EDIT:- The 1968 to 2020 price comparisons shown above are incorrect. They should read as - 8 Shillings and sixpence equates to 42 pence, or approximately £7.25 at today's prices.

Pic 1. The boxes of the two kits compared here.
Pic 2. Starboard fuselage halves, with the 'Inpact' part at top.
Pic 3. The 'Roden' kit has the external, ribbed oil cooler moulded integrally with the fuselage half, whereas the 'Inpact' kit provides a separate part for this.
Pics 4 and 5. 'Roden' main engine parts. Further parts are added, including individual exhaust pipes, and the intake 'trumpets', to provide a completed engine assembly, which is then fitted to the forward bulkhead.
Pic 6. The 'Inpact' engine. Simplified, with just the prop shaft to fit, and the engine fitting directly to the front of the assembled fuselage. No intake 'trumpets' are provided, although the exhausts are mouded integrally with the cowling. Extra detail can easily be scratch - built if desired.
Pic 7. The 'Roden' cowling is moulded in three separate sections for some reason, maybe to aid in aligning the individual exhaust pipes, and there are no 'cut outs' for the fuselage machine guns, which would need to be cut or filed into the inner cowl edges in the appropriate locations. Surface detail, although adequate, appears rather 'soft' compared to the real aircraft.
Pic 8. The one-piece 'Inpact' cowling includes the gun 'cut-outs', and although the surface detail may look rather 'heavy', it compares well with the actual aircraft. The 'moulded in' exhaust pipes can be seen inside the cowling - quite an advanced feature for 1968.
Pic 9. Comparison of lower wing surface detail, with the 'Roden' wing at top. Note the rigging locating points on the 'Inpact' wing. All control surfaces on the 'Inpact' kit are moulded in place, whereas the 'Roden' kit has separate parts for each control surface.
Pic 10. Roden seat at left, 'Inpact' at right. Neither are anywhere near accurate, with the 'Inpact' example designed to be used with the four-part pilot figure provided. Although both could fairly easily be modified to the correct shape, with the seat pan recess and cut-out in the back, there is a nice resin seat available, at a reasonable price, from Aires.
Note also that there are various other aftermarket parts available, such as engines, seats, control surfaces, wheels etc, designed for use with he 'Roden', 'Merit' and 'Eduard' kits, and, of course, a good selection of decal sheets.

I hope this review of this old kit has been of interest, and if there are any questions, please ask.

EDIT:- Regarding reference to the Merit kit, this is not, as I originally thought, another re-box of the original 'Inpact' kit, but a more recent tooling from around 2015. There are similarities in the design of parts, but from what I've learned, the engine cowling is very inaccurate, and noticeable.

DSCF3823.JPG
DSCF3812.JPG
DSCF3813.JPG
DSCF3814.JPG
DSCF3815.JPG
DSCF3816.JPG
DSCF3817.JPG
DSCF3818.JPG
DSCF3820.JPG
DSCF3821.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread