Ireland - armed neutrality

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

charmquark

Recruit
Apr 13, 2024
I'm Irish and conscious that in OTL Ireland was dependent on British support for defense.
Let's hypothesise an Ireland where Seán Lemass took over in the 30's and the economy grew enough to finance a decent defense force and local industry.
I'd assume not enough time to train local designers but time to build up manufacturing and secure supplies, buying in existing engines and designs for local build. A defense posture like Poland, Czechoslovakia or Finland, avoiding ties to Britain, Italy and Germany as much as possible.
I'm going to start with engines, buying in Bristol Mercury or P&W Twin Wasp as a stopgap until licensed production of Hispano Suiza 12Y begins (the French let Switzerland, Czechoslovakia and Russia license so why not?). Fokker XXI and Curtis 75s for air defense while a new design is put into local production.
What should it be based on, given the constraints above?

What is OTL? Who would Ireland be fighting?
I have see that term used to refer to our time line, as in actual history. I would hope they are fighting no-one but at that time faced possible invasion from both the British Empire and the German Reich. I was simply speculating on what a well armed neutrality would entail, as with Switzerland, Sweden etc.

I have see that term used to refer to our time line, as in actual history. I would hope they are fighting no-one but at that time faced possible invasion from both the British Empire and the German Reich. I was simply speculating on what a well armed neutrality would entail, as with Switzerland, Sweden etc.
If you were fighting the German Reich it would be because the British were defeated. Since the British never did invade Ireland I dont see the issue, just remain neutral, Hitler didnt bother about neutrality anyway.

A lot depends on when and what conditions.

In 1939 it is over 500 miles from German Border to Dublin and that entails flying over Britain from London to Sheffield.
Going up and around Scotland means 900-1000 miles and even overflying Belgium/French border and then going around Lands End is over 800 miles.
Once France falls it gets a lot shorter, but then it is too late to do much in the way of tooling up anything.
If England falls and the Germans put bases in Wales/Scotland then even 200 miles covers much of Ireland.

Irish could have done more with some flying boats or land bases twins (not Ansons) for coastal patrol and possible stopping landing parties or weather stations or using western inlets for refueling but perhaps there were enough people on the ground and good enough phone system to stop that sort of stuff ?

OK, I'm convinced. I will stop speculating on what kind of aircraft Ireland could have built in the 1930's given better finances because it never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back