The forum’s tele-meeting members

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
From several sides it has been suggested that, with the current lack of social contacts in the CoVId19 pandemy, it might be good to have a realtime meeting with members. If we want to do something like that, someone should take the initiative to start, which I'm doing here.
This is an experiment. If too many people join, casual conversation might be difficult. We propose to do at least an introduction round, so everybody can at least say something. After that we'll have to see.

INFO for 6-6-2020:
Here all you need to know about the meeting. We'll have a beer/wine/coffee/cake or whatever depending of your timezone together (or just grab a beer regardless of the time).

Meeting with ZOOM (Video Conferencing, Web Conferencing, Webinars, Screen Sharing)
Make sure you have the app installed on a device with at least a microphone. Smartphone, tablet or computer will do.

If you want to join, send your email adres to me ( Marcel Marcel ) in a PM. I'll try too keep them private. Registration closes 1 hour before the meeting, as we'll have to prepare from there.
You'll get an email with invitation about 15 minutes before the start of the meeting. There will be a link in that email which you'll have to click in order to join the meeting.

DONT POST YOUR EMAIL IN THIS THREAD!!!!!

Time:
West US sat 06 june 2020 12:00:00 PDT
East US sat 06 june 2020 15:00:00 EDT
Amsterdam sat 06 june 2020 21:00:00 CEST
Melbourne za 07 june 2020 5:00:00 AEST
UK vr 06 june 2020 20:00:00 BST

List of joining members (already provided email):
- Marcel Marcel
- rochie rochie
- Njaco Njaco
- DerAdlerIstGelandet DerAdlerIstGelandet
- FLYBOYJ FLYBOYJ
- Capt. Vick Capt. Vick
- Vincenzo Vincenzo
- X XBe02Drvr

===================== Old starting post ============================================
I have no idea if this is feasable or not and how many people are really interested.
There are a couple of problems I can see.

1. timezones, we go to sleep when the Americans wake up, might be a problem
2. Size of the meeting. From experience I know that to large a meeting won't really work.
3. Which platform?

I would like to start to see if there is any interest in such a meeting, so if you could indicate here if you are interested that would be nice. I also would like you to indicate what goal you would like the meeting to have. I've seen ideas to discuss in aviation etc. That would require a more meeting-like organisation I think with a chairman and choosing a subject? I myself would be perfectly fine with just socializing with a couple of you, just sharing a beer.
How big should a meeting be? As many as possible?

What platform should we use? I've no experience with ZOOM, but I have used WebEx and Microsoft Teams/skype in the past. Don't know the pros and cons for each platform.

So if you have any ideas, please put them here. If it's not to be, that would be perfectly fine as well. I'm sure all of you are capable of organising something like this in a smaller setting if necessary.

Last edited:
I'm willing go give it a go,

i think just a casual meet up could be best just to say hi and put faces and voices to members.
A structured meeting with an agenda might seem like work :lol:

I have never used any sort of video conferencing platform but I'm sure I'll manage !

Yeah I also think let's just give this a go with a handful of people who say they're interested, it can be a little test of the concept. Let's just have a beer and a chat and see how it goes?

As for the platform, Skype, Zoom whatever is fine with me. Generally they're all free, easy to install and do exactly the same thing.

Generally speaking, US time is six hours behind European time but obviously that changes a little depending on location. But how about we do this in the evening European time and that way it's the afternoon for any Americans that want to join us?

Why don't we try it on Friday or Saturday this weekend?

I am all for this.

The problem is time zones. We are literally spread out all over the world. If you do it during the week for instance, many of us here in the US are working when those of you in Europe are off work, and many of those in Asia are sleeping. If you do it on weekends, it can still be difficult to coordinate still because of timezones, and people having family commitments.

it's not impossible, just difficult to coordinate

I use zoom pretty regularly to have beers with my friends on Saturdays. Usually it is around 7:30 PM our local time, since we all have kids, and wait until they are in bed. It works well, and we are a group of 4 to 6 usually. Someone has to have an account, and send out invites. I have an account as I usually set everything up amongst my friends.

I am all for this.

The problem is time zones. We are literally spread out all over the world. If you do it during the week for instance, many of us here in the US are working when those of you in Europe are off work, and many of those in Asia are sleeping. If you do it on weekends, it can still be difficult to coordinate still because of timezones, and people having family commitments.

I use zoom pretty regularly to have beers with my friends on Saturdays. Usually it is around 7:30 PM our local time, since we all have kids, and wait until they are in bed. It works well, and we are a group of 4 to 6 usually. Someone has to have an account, and send out invites. I have an account as I usually set everything up amongst my friends.
I think key is that we should not have the illusion that everybody can join. Or maybe split it into more small meetings?

I'll see if I can install this Zoom thing, I'm using Linux and have no idea if they have a client for my platform. Maybe we should try if it works?

I am all for this.

So if I have my time zones right, if it was on a Saturday 7pm British summer time, that would be 8pm for the central European members (Germany, Poland, Netherlands etc), 2pm US Eastern time, and 11am on the West Coast.
The Aussie members would needto get up about 4am to put on their wobbly boots, but some sacrifices must be made. ;)

So my preference would be coming friday or saturday, about 20:00 CET. Zoom seems to work just fine on Linux, much better than MSTeams. Haven't tried a meeting, though. Hope you all can understand my thick Dutch accent :lol: (I know you do, Karl)

No problem - when Karl's had a few beers, he sounds Dutch anyway !!
Sorry I can't join in - haven't got a web cam or microphone, and don't own a 'smart' phone.

So my preference would be coming friday or saturday, about 20:00 CET. Zoom seems to work just fine on Linux, much better than MSTeams. Haven't tried a meeting, though. Hope you all can understand my thick Dutch accent :lol: (I know you do, Karl)
That sounds ok to me, though must remember to speak english not the dodgy northern dialect i normally use :lol:

You all are more than welcome. I would not be able to. I am in CST time, so 2000 CET is 1300 CST. I would still be working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back