Tiger I. Kursk Armor Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jan, Terry. If you have a few pictures that could be helpful Terry. I held up on the base because I wasn't sure where to go from there, and am working on the Goblin right now. It's good to have 2 such different projects to go back and forth from when you get stalled on one of them. I just wish they both weren't so tiny so I could give my eyes some rest!

EDIT: Just say your post Lewis. That's a great idea! A lot easier than trying to get all that grass to stand up!

Last edited:
I've been working on the base trying to glue in the grass. Gravity seems to be my biggest enemy so I've been working upside down. What a pain in the a*s! I'm glad I didn't study to become a hair transplant surgeon, I would have gone postal my now! I'll post some pictures when I have more than 2 square inches done to show.

It's a pain in the nether regions Glenn ! I haven't used that stuff, yet, but have used bristles from a paint brush, which are similar. A good way is to make bunches, by tieing and or glueing a number of clumps of the fibre together at the base, like a boquet of flowers, and planting them into holes in the baseboard, fixing with white glue. Once set, brush them up and arrange, and you've got the effect of standing tall grass.

Here you go Glenn. All of these were taken at the opening stages of the battle, in the Kursk region. Note the terrain and varied ground cover. Sorry the quality isn't brilliant, but I can find more if you neeed them. These are from 'The Tiger Tank', by Roger Ford, original source believed to be Bundes Archiv.

Attachments

• Can Jan 340.jpg
    Can Jan 340.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Can Jan 341.jpg
    Can Jan 341.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Can Jan 342.jpg
    Can Jan 342.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Terry that's real helpful. The grass is shorter than I had thought, with some bare spots and even a little mud.

Yep, it's typical terrain for the area. I'd say dry earth and dust, rather than mud. Although, the pic showing the Tiger (in the distance) waiting to cross the pool being planked, is again typical of that type of terrain, where soft, wet areas can be found, which may only be a few yards across, but are subterranean springs (usually) which can stretch for miles. Hence the crossing problem. With a PzKfw IV, it probably wouldn't be a problem , but the Tiger's weight would need the ballast to provide some traction, ortherwise it would just dig itself in.

P7232332.JPG
Still have a long way to go 'planting grass' on the base but here's a progress shot. The grass is too long right now and will be trimmed shorter when it's all in. I also added the antenna to the Tiger using 8 lb fishing line. Looked the right size and I don't have to worry about breaking it off.

Last edited:
P7242333.JPG
Thanks guys!
After a lot of trial and error I made up some clevis shackles out of stretched sprue and installed them. Also did some more grass, but I'm sure you guys are tired of looking at more grass. I'll save it until it's finished.

Last edited:
great job Glenn, the tow shackles look the biz. Just noticed though, I think the driver' and radio op's top hatches are the wrong way around; the vision blocks should be on the outside, looking away from the hull.

ScannedImage36.jpg
ScannedImage86.jpg
The hatches were keyed in for that position. The photo below shows one of them positioned like mine and the other one different, but still facing inward. I think at this point I would damage the paint job too much trying to change them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back