Unofficial Group Build: BEAUFIGHTER!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finally started my 1:72 Beau build recently!

This post is a general overview: individual threads per build (and proper photos) will be added soon.

Kit comparison. From top:

-Airfix TF.X (original moulding - new tool to be released in July!)
-Frog Mk.21 (also released by Novo)
-Hasegawa (generic mould for all versions)
-Revell (Matchbox) Mk.X

STA55985.JPG

In progress Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk.VI and MK.X (same basic fuselage moulds). Eduard PE applied to Mk.VI interior, converting to VIf.

STA55999.JPG

Airfix and Frog components seperated from sprues and cleaned up.
(Thanks to Bob for the major components of the Frog kit, and to Karl for providing most of the missing components for it from his Airfix kit!)

STA55983.JPG

After a bit of chopping and changing :) (details below - taped together for photos only)

STA55986.JPG

'In progress' Beaufighter Mk.IIf (scratchbuild), to be a 488 (NZ) Sqn. machine. So far:

Basic kit: Revell (Matchbox) Mk.X
Nose: Hasegawa Mk.X
Upper decking: Frog Mk.21
Rear fuselage: Airfix TF.X. 2.5 mm removed at tail fin root to correct length and profile. Further mods to be made at tailplane root, and fuselage slightly spaced. Rudder will be replaced
Engines: Airfix Lancaster B.I (original mould). To be modified.
Tailplanes: Hasegawa Mk.VI, to be modified to flat type.

STA56000.JPG

Kits for my son to be's mobile, from remaining components (gear up, no small details to be added):

Beaufighter TT.Mk.X

Forward fuselage: Airifx TF.X (original moulding)
Rear fuselage: Revell (Matchbox) Mk.X

STA56001.JPG

Beaufighter TT.Mk.21

Basic airframe: Frog Mk.21
Upper decking: Revell (Matchbox) Mk.X off-cuts
Engines: Airfix TF.X (O.M)
Tailplanes, rudder: Airfix TF.X (O.M)
Undercarriage doors: Revell (Matchbox) Mk.X

STA56003.JPG

Last edited:
Evan, you obviously have a sick mind, that workbench is way too tidy!

Nice work. I do have a Beau in my stash but I am thinking about Group Build 28, Night War of WWII.

Nice looking work.

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers guys!

Wojtek - yes - please do start my friend! I would love to see how you tackle the conversion.

Karl - we can work on getting you another Beau... what scale? Thanks again for the parts you sent too! (and yeah- anytime now for the baby!)

Jeff - :lol: Look forward to seeing that Beau in the NF build - what version are you doing?

Cheers guys!

Wojtek - yes - please do start my friend! I would love to see how you tackle the conversion.

Karl - we can work on getting you another Beau... what scale? Thanks again for the parts you sent too! (and yeah- anytime now for the baby!)

Jeff - :lol: Look forward to seeing that Beau in the NF build - what version are you doing?

I will be honest, I was going to get another Tamiya 1/48 in my next buying spree, need one for my grey/green theme !

That's quite an ambitious project Evan. Would join you but I have a lot on the go at the moment. You'll be done long before I could start.

Cheers guys!

Bit of a delay - I'm now a dad! - but getting back into it as and when able 8including the two for my son's mobile)

Geo - na mate, wouldn't contract out the work, too much fun doing it myself :)
Karl - go for it mate! can look around for ya too if you like.
Andy - this is another 'open end' build, no time limit. Be cool to see you in when you have time.

According to AJ Press' 'Bristol Beaufighter Cz.2 (Pt.2)' and (only..) one internet site, 489 (NZ) sqn also operated the Beau MK.VIc. Have thus scored a Hasegawa Mk.VI to make one. Lack of photos/info is going to be a problem, as the VIc could have the flat or dihedraled tailplane, and there is no guarantee the markings were applied as per 489's pre D-Day Mk.Xs, let alone paintscheme...
Research, research, research...

Cheers Cory, Wojtku and Terry! Will arrange a pic or two shortly (after a nappy change :) )

Looking forward to that or else I'll take Terry with me together and come to you. Do you have enough of vodka? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back