**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well thanks guys, I'm back into it after a few hectic weeks prior to Chrissy, so I hope you all had a good one.

Pic 1: I re-installed the trim tab actuators underneath the elevators using plastic card and copper wire.

Pic 2: Terry alerted me to the upper wing panels and this is a drawing found in the SAM publication of the Beaufighter X, the close equivalent of the DAP 21, for reference.

Pic 3: This is the Tamiya upper wing. You can see that panel lines are mostly all in the wrong places, according to the reference drawing, as well as being some anomalous bumps here and there! :( Panel re-scribing is not fun, so I'm choosing to leave these alone. I have blended in the rear wingtip recognition light, as the DAP 21 also only had the forward facing set.

Pic 4: Another drawing from the SAM publication that I used to confirm position of the underneath ID lights.

Pic 5: ID lights drilled out. After painting I will fill these with clear glue to simulate the lights.

Update done - over and out!

Attachments

• trim tabs 02 - resized.jpg
    trim tabs 02 - resized.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 144
  • beau drawing x  002.jpg
    beau drawing x 002.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 155
  • wing - resized.jpg
    wing - resized.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 146
  • beau drawing x  001.jpg
    beau drawing x 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 164
  • id lights - resized.jpg
    id lights - resized.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 138
Thanks Wayne - I have been keeping tabs on this group build, it seems theres been some great new entries too. Just before Christmas I was able to get hold of a book called "Beaufighters in the Pacific" by Neville Parnell, which is a great reference for Aussie Beau's. Had a few words on 93 Squadron, but also another pic of A8-159 which I'll post here.

This is a general view of the 93 Squadron dispersal at Labuan island. Space being limited, they were parked nose to tail. No chance of an enemy air raid by this time. SK-E middle background.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• labuan island dispersal - resized.jpg
    labuan island dispersal - resized.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 130
Good work there Peter, like the trim tab actuators. I ignored the panel lines on my Tamiya beau too - can't really notice them anyway, unless there's a tree-hugging, carrott eating, politically correct, anorak wearing rivet counter around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back