**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Harrison, Vic and Wayne

Heres a small update.

Pic 1: Reference photo of A8-164 A-SK in flight. The photo clearly shows the aerodynamic fillet added to the top of the fuselage, just in from of the Navigator bubble. Not exactly sure why this mod was done, but my thoughts are that it was added to reduce buffet around the bubble. It would be interesting to know the reason. Anyway it is missing from the Tamiya kit, so I have added it with card. (Image Source:Avaition Heritage Museum of WA)

Pic 2: Here is the added fillet. I have sprayed the first coat of Foliage Green to the upper surfaces to check seams and details. Some small fix ups and it is all good to finish painting. I am using MM Euro Dark Green FS34092 straight from the bottle.

End of update. Happy New Year!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• A8-164 ASK - resized.jpg
    A8-164 ASK - resized.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 133
  • fuselage addition - resized.jpg
    fuselage addition - resized.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 128
Nice job mate.If it's not too late, make the fillet wider in section. It was 'box-like' and, AFAIK, hollow at the trailing end, possibly incorporating a de-icer originally.

Cheers Guys

This pic of the crashed A8-129 is the best I have showing the thickness of the fillet. A couple of schematics I've looked at that do include it show a single line. It's not razor thin as you can see, nor very wide, so I'm comfortable with the width of my card addition as is. Got me thinking there Terry! :rolleyes::D8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• A8-129 crash showing fillet - resized.jpg
    A8-129 crash showing fillet - resized.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 147
Yep. Look at the extreme trailing end. I's not only open, but 'aerodynamically' rounded on the top surface. In reality, it's about two to three inches wide. I've got some better pics somewhere - if I can find the little bleeders!!

Back again!

Attended to a few more details today.

Pic 1 Reference Photo. This SK-V A8-149 parked up at Labuan. The details that interest me on this shot are the fuel vent tube (I think - I've checked the Descriptive Manual and find no direct reference to it ) extending rearward from the wingtip, the pitot tube and the navigation lights. The fuel vent tube was in place on both wingtips, but for some reason the Tamiya kit only has one side. I think these are for the wing fuel tanks that take up residence in the gun bays when the 50 cals are not installed. Interesting SK-V has neither the 50 cals nor the rockets - it looks like this one has been transferred from 22 Squadron possibly (coded DU) and the old codes painted out. The wing navigation lights are present in the forward position and show clear as far as I can tell. I'm guessing that only the globe inside was coloured? Pitot needs a bit of help to look right! (Image Source: Aviation Heritage Museum of WA)

Pic 2 The fuel tank vents were added with wire, and will be tidied up and painted, both sides.

Pic 3 The pitot supplied by Tamiya

Pic 4 Wire glued in the end after tip was removed and hole drilled using small drill.

Pic 5 Bent to shape.

End of update. Cheers

Attachments

• A8-149 VSK - resized.jpg
    A8-149 VSK - resized.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 116
  • fuel vent - resized.jpg
    fuel vent - resized.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 118
  • pitot 1 resized.jpg
    pitot 1 resized.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 117