Fw-190 A-8/R2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ikerus

Airman 1st Class
Sep 15, 2009
indianapolis, IN
I have a side picture of Hauptmann Wilhelm Moritzs' Wurger, but I can not find any other picture on it. As yoiu guys have read on a different thread, I am building a model. This Wurger will be the one that I am going to replacate when I start to paint and finish the model. I know that this one is painted with RLM 70, and 75 (I think thats dark grey), I know there is white on there also, and the plane has a light grey bottom. Am I missing anything? Does the black they painted along the side go into the wing, or just it stay on the fuse?

Do you mean the A-8/R2?

Attachments

• Fw190A8_moritz.jpg
    Fw190A8_moritz.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 653
  • moritz2.jpg
    moritz2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 902
It has the right markings, but the picture in the book shows dark grey and black for the whole plane, with a light grey underside. but the one that you have posted looks better and had a b&w photo to back it up. Any chance that there are any other photos of the plane?

yes there are several fotos until the machine was and had the color markings painted out by August 44.

the swastika in this case is not camo'd over but is typical black/white as other machines so the profile is incorrect. The engine cowling for SturmFw's of JG 3 is actually black with a hint of blue undertones, this is proven by colour foto evidence and have held a portion of an old wreck in my hands

Unfortunately I haven't seen any pic of the Fw190A-8/R-2 with the white band on the fuselage so far. But I have found a few other profiles .Looking at them I'm almost sure that it was the standard camo scheme with RLM74/75/76. The difference between these Fw190 camouflages is the period of time.The camo of the machine with the white band was the earlier one and the plane without shows us the later camo .Note that whithin a space of month it was changed. It is said it was Moritz's decision.

Attachments

• Fw190A8_R2 Moritz 1.jpg
    Fw190A8_R2 Moritz 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 600
  • Fw190A8_R2 Moritz 2.jpg
    Fw190A8_R2 Moritz 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 725
  • Fw190A8_R2 Moritz.jpg
    Fw190A8_R2 Moritz.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Erich: If the swastika on my model is painted back in, would it then be correct?

Wurger: So any of the above schemes would then be correct based on the photos that you have provided, is that what is to be understood?

Last edited:
I think both of them are correct. The problem is if there was the squadron emblem on the engine cowling. W.Maximowitz's one wore the badge on the black painted engine cowling.

Attachments

• rammjager.jpg
    rammjager.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 700
  • FW190-A8_.jpg
    FW190-A8_.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 673
Last edited:
When I get home I will look at my book again, I dont remember off hand if it had the emblem on the cowl or not, but didnt Moritz and Willi Maximowitz fly together? Would it be a stretch to say that the one you have photos of and the one I want to model are the same except for the Double Chevron on Moritz's and Black 8 on Willi Maximowitz? And the black/yellow one for Maximowitz's, where as Moritz had black/white, is different that I do know.

Last edited:
I just found one, all it says is group commander, and had the JG3 emblem on the side just under the pilot, however I dont know if its correct.

I don't think the JG emblem was painted there. The most possible is it was on the engine cowling.

I know that there is a lot of info on Willi's 190, but one of the other guys that I fly with is doing that one, so I found the group commander, but now its a matter of which one I want. I think the one with the black cowl will look best when finished, so would it be wrong to follow the scheme of Willi's but change the markings for the group commander? And is the unit emblem on both sides of the cowl?

To be honest all Fw190s in that time were mottled really different.The camo on upper wing, tail surfaces could be almost the same but mottling not.That's way there are always differences among all of them.Of course Moritz's plane and Maximowitz's crate aren't the same machine. If you want I can find another Fw190 of the JG3

The emblem was painted on both sides of the cowl.

Here you are.

Attachments

• Fw190A8R2 12JG3 yellow17_.jpg
    Fw190A8R2 12JG3 yellow17_.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 757
  • Fw190A8R2 12JG3 yellow17.jpg
    Fw190A8R2 12JG3 yellow17.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 912
  • tankmagblack13.jpg
    tankmagblack13.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,494
  • Fw190A8R2 JG3 black13.jpg
    Fw190A8R2 JG3 black13.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Thnanks for the photos Wurger!

Did Willi Unger change the numbers to red? I have a photo from the Focke Wulf Fw 190 39-45 and it has his plane but with a red 17 instead of yellow.

Any chance you have any more JG3 photos? If they are in a book, which one?

first of all I have fotos of Moritz A/C of the July early August period before he got a new mount in the plain jane greys the colorful markings were removed in accordance with ID. the JG 3 Geschwader emblem was on both sides of the black/blue engine cowling on Moritz's earlier SturmFw.

Werner Gerth's Black 13 profile is definately wrong, it should be a black 13 with white trim and the swastika is also black with white trim. the eagle wing exhaust is outlined in white for 11th staffel but also for 10th staffel. 12th staffel was yellow and 2./JG 51 coming in as the fourth staffel for the Sturmgruppe had a red trim. Black 13 is shown right after the massacre of B-24's on 7-7-44.

Maxi is flying a jabo equipped oddity with yellow spinner and red trim to the eagle exhaust which was later changed, I have another pic later in August/September of another black 8 the colored markings have been painted over as you can see the white defense band still under the grey spray paint.

Unger flew yellow numbered a/c in 12th later 15th staffels not red. the yellow 17 is in May of 44 after the unit started receiving some of the heavier A-8/R2's and 12 staffel had it's A/C fitted with the rearward firing rocket mortar which was a otal failure and they had it removed and replaced with the fuel tank

Werner Gerth's Black 13 profile is definately wrong, it should be a black 13 with white trim and the swastika is also black with white trim. the eagle wing exhaust is outlined in white for 11th staffel but also for 10th staffel. 12th staffel was yellow and 2./JG 51 coming in as the fourth staffel for the Sturmgruppe had a red trim. Black 13 is shown right after the massacre of B-24's on 7-7-44.

Humm...I can see the black 13 with white outline and the swastika as well.So what is wrong with the Gerth's Fw190 profile? Undoubtedly the outline for the eagle wing should have been white but the rest is quite right I think.

Unger flew yellow numbered a/c in 12th later 15th staffels not red. the yellow 17 is in May of 44 after the unit started receiving some of the heavier A-8/R2's and 12 staffel had it's A/C fitted with the rearward firing rocket mortar which was a otal failure and they had it removed and replaced with the fuel tank

I agree, Unger's Fw190 was numbered with yellow 17 but not red one.This is the fault of the kind of the negative.The one shows all yellow colours like these would be red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back