Grumman Wildcat on floats !!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Didja know ? Grumman decided to put the F4F-3 "Wildcat" on floats, and designated it the F4F-3S, "Wildcatfish".

There was a Spitfire on floats, a Ju-52 and a C-47, a Beech-18 (aka C-45), a Zero and a bf-109 on floats, and a Staggerwing, too.
I suppose, if you have the time, money ard equipment, you could put a P-38 on floats !!

Wonder what else wound up on floats ?????

Charles

Attachments

• F4F-3S_Wildcatfish_NAN12-70.jpg
    F4F-3S_Wildcatfish_NAN12-70.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
One of the few times sticking whacking great floats on the underside of an aircraft has improved the look! (goes off, whistling tunelessly ....)

There was a test version of the P-38 designed for floats, had the tail raised about 16-18 inches to keep it out of the salt spray.
The high tailed version was tested, but floats were never fitted.

I've always liked the Beech-18 (aka C-45) on floats. Canada is full of them !

Charles

Attachments

• 58028523_beech.jpg
    58028523_beech.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Beech-18.jpg
    Beech-18.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 297
Cutting Edge and Just Plane Stuff did a conversion for the 1/48 Tamiya kit years ago though I think they are long out of production. Cutting Edge made the floats and Just Plane Stuff made the non folding wing conversion. Back to work but home tonight.

Geo

XC-47C Largest floatplane ever? As opposed to a proper seaplane such as the Short Sunderland or Martin Mars

The C-47 floatplane worked well, but loading it through the cargo doors was very difficult due to the height and the fact that the floats were in the way, so although quite a few float kits were built, only the one was ever so fitted.
The p-38 with the high tail was an attempt to stave off the effects of compressibility, not to enable it to accept floats.

The C-47 floatplane worked well, but loading it through the cargo doors was very difficult due to the height and the fact that the floats were in the way, so although quite a few float kits were built, only the one was ever so fitted.

"Pilots found the C-47C difficult to launch in rough water, and performed like a pogo stick when landing on anything but a mirror smooth body of water. It had a high tire failure on land, and was difficult to handle in a crosswind landing. The C-47C was slow on take-off and JATO bottles did little to improve its performance. It was also about 30 mph slower than its sisters without floats." from: dc3history.org

Actually sounds like it was a bit of a dog.

But, it also looks like there was a DC-3 that was covnverted in the 70's as well.

All good pic's. Like I said, if you have the time, manpower and the funds, you can put (almost) anything on floats.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back