Ki-61 II-Kai Versions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No more idea, Civettone.
Sorry.

... but It was not until end 1944 or early 1945 when the Japanese fighters encountered B-29s at super high altitude that they understood the true value of liquid cooled engines.

Last edited:
Here is that other pic...

Source : Famous aircraft of the World Ki-61

Attachments

• Ki-61_II_2253.JPG
    Ki-61_II_2253.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 280
Thanks very much. I would love to do a model of this plane. There used to be a site where someone kitbashed one together but I don't think it exists anymore. Thanks again.

I've never seen a kit myself. It seems you could take a kit of Ki-61 and Ki-100-Ib and do some "plastic surgery".
Besides the front of Ki-61 mated to the back of the Ki-100 you would have to attach the air scoop under the fuselage. It would be a lot of work but it would look really cool.

No more idea, Civettone.
Sorry.

... but It was not until end 1944 or early 1945 when the Japanese fighters encountered B-29s at super high altitude that they understood the true value of liquid cooled engines.

Of course those B-29s used air cooled radials and the air cooled P-47s could easily intercept them. I think the real key was the turbo-superchargers, however, the Ta-152 did quite well with nitrous.

I heard that the heat exchange efficiency of R-3350 was superior to the Japanese engines which easily overheated.

Last edited:
Of course those B-29s used air cooled radials and the air cooled P-47s could easily intercept them. I think the real key was the turbo-superchargers, however, the Ta-152 did quite well with nitrous.
I have my doubts about that. As far as I know the Ta 152 was never used operationally at high altitude, so the GM-1 was never used either. GM-1 on the Bf 109G-6/U2 or on the Fw 190B proved unpopular, I don't see why it would have been succesful on the Ta 152 series. Then again, I don't know what the problem was with it in the first place. Too much weight?

Kris

Thanks Cappy. Don't really do much 72nd stuff. Thanks though. Do mostly 48th. Found some pics of the kit-bash but the page is gone. Some guy named Galler used two Otaki kits. If this should go in modelling I'll move it. Cheers

Attachments

• ki61jg8.gif
    ki61jg8.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 323
  • ki61jg7.jpg
    ki61jg7.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 318
  • ki61jg_3.jpg
    ki61jg_3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Yep, he did an excellent job on this. Here's a couple a more shots. cheers.

Attachments

• ki61jg_2.jpg
    ki61jg_2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 263
  • ki61jg_1.jpg
    ki61jg_1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back