P-51 against the 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You boys gave me an education, Greg, thanks. You understand, I had to ask my questions, or I'd never get there. Appreciate your filling in the holes for me.

I think I'm seeing it, here. As a practical matter, a good offense, i.e., taking the fight to the Luftwaffe, is really the best defense. I hadn't grasped that, initially. All said, these missions really were in tough, and one really has to admire the courage and sacrifice of these young men.

offence being the best defence!

you often read comments from allied and axis pilots bemoaning the innefectiveness of being tied to the bombers!

I think I'm seeing it, here. As a practical matter, a good offense, i.e., taking the fight to the Luftwaffe, is really the best defense. I hadn't grasped that, initially. All said, these missions really were in tough, and one really has to admire the courage and sacrifice of these young men.

That's a good summary: at best fighters tied to bomber defense could ward off attacks, but inevitably conceded the tactical initiative to the attackers. As Greg says, all of those airmen deserve respect and thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back