Need Advice on Next Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ninjaplation

Airman
Nov 18, 2013
Hello everyone, so I recently finished my first ever model an airfix bf109 1:72 (you can checked previous posts to see how it went). I acquired a Revell Junkers Ju87 D 1:48. I have some very specific ideas about this plane. I would like it to be an Afrika Corps Stuka complete with the tan cammo and the palm tree/swazika logo (like the one in the movie The Desert Fox about Rommel). My plan would be to spray paint the tan and then hand paint the black. But I'm having trouble finding good pics of the afrika corps stukas, I play warthunder and there is a afrika corps Stuka in there but I feel like I have seen many different cammo scemes and want to see as many as I can b4 I use one. I just need a bit of advice on colors I want a tan spray paint, I have a green, bluegray , black, gray , yellow, and flesh color. Any tan spray paints to reccomend, I has bought a yellow one for my last build and to be homest it's came out pretty poor fora spray paint, really don't want I screw this model as I am a Stuka lover.

Thanks for your time

There are many who could prove me wrong but I don't think the Luftwaffe sported Afrika Corps emblems. Military vehicles for sure but not sure about the aircraft. I would expect the usual Geschwader and Staffel crests but don't recall seeing the Afrika Corps emblem as one of these.

I don't use spray paints so can not recommend a product but the tan colour you will want to replicate is RLM 79 Sandgelb.

Attachments

•  Pro Modeler 1 48 Ju 87R-2 Stuka, by Scott Lyle.pdf
    474.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Airfix_1_24_Ju_87_Stuka_by_Kommandant_Patches.jpg
    Airfix_1_24_Ju_87_Stuka_by_Kommandant_Patches.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Luftwaffe units based in North Africa were not part of the Afrika Korps. Even the parachute brigade which was sent for the aborted invasion of Malta remained an independent Luftwaffe unit attached to the Korps.

Most Ju 87s operating in the MTO retained their standard camouflage (70/71/65). Some were altered with the application of a sand colour, presumably RLM 79 but possibly a locally acquired Italian colour, as in the model posted above and this one I made a while ago.

PRQtr_web_zps4357a774.gif

Cheers

Steve

I agree with all above. I don't know of any Luftwaffe aircraft in North Africa that carried the Afrika Korps palm and swastika emblem, with the possible exception of the Fiesler Storch used by Rommel, which might have had the badge on the door.
As has been pointed out, the Ju87 units in theatre were Luftwaffe (Air Force), and the Afrika Korps was Heer (Army), a Force formed for the campaigns in North Africa. It may be that the AK emblem appeared on aircraft in the movie (can't remember, it's so long since I last saw it, and don't remember seeing Ju87's in it - there weren't any available for filming either.) but remember, it was a movie, where artistic licence can really get out of hand!

And a couple of more of Stona's subject...

134895786.jpg

stukasnake4.jpg

And one more shot of the S7+KS Stuka

7304586746_a1832ca1a6_o.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to getting you guys an example of the sort of cammo i am looking for. These images are from the PC flight arcade/sim warthunder from my own hanger.
Stuka 1.png
stuka 2.png
Stuka 3.png
stuka 4.png

From all of my searching unable to find a spray. So I went to Hornby Hobby and think I found the proper color or not sure i have found two that might work.

Next i need more of the color for the belly is this the right one? Look at link two

RLM 79 for base - Shade 249- RLM 79 Sandgelb Matt | Hornby America
or
Desert Yellow for base - 93 - Desert Yellow | Hornby America
Belly Color - 79 - Blue Gray | Hornby America
Leather for seat cusions - 62 - Leather | Hornby America
Black for spots - 33 - Black | Hornby America

Thanks for your time guys i appreciate all the help you guys offer here <3

Here's a few pictures of the Stuka in Chicago's Museum of Science ans Industry. It was shot down in North Africa and as far as I know it's still wearing the paint it was shot down in.

Attachments

• P3291376.JPG
    P3291376.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 323
  • P3291344.JPG
    P3291344.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 213
  • P3291346.JPG
    P3291346.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 342
  • P3291349.JPG
    P3291349.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 249
  • P3291354.JPG
    P3291354.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 207
Here's a few pictures of the Stuka in Chicago's Museum of Science ans Industry. It was shot down in North Africa and as far as I know it's still wearing the paint it was shot down in.
Thanks looks good can get an idea for markings. Im at college right now and we have a aircraft museam next door, but unfortunately can't find a list of planes and from what i remember it isnt cheap. Its the cradle of avation in New York Long Island

Last edited:
First of all, take anything from a compute game/sim with a pinch of salt!
There are only three known Ju87s in existence - one in Chicago, one in Germany, and the other in the RAF Museum, London. The photos posted to date show actual schemes, although the one in the 'game' might have been found on some aircraft, the patterns tended to follow those schemes shown. To establish the scheme, you'd need to establish the unit, period and location.

First of all, take anything from a compute game/sim with a pinch of salt!
There are only three known Ju87s in existence - one in Chicago, one in Germany, and the other in the RAF Museum, London. The photos posted to date show actual schemes, although the one in the 'game' might have been found on some aircraft, the patterns tended to follow those schemes shown. To establish the scheme, you'd need to establish the unit, period and location.
I think that it is like this image (one that was posted above) http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-87B-S...m-and-StG3-coding-(S7+C-)-North-Africa-01.jpg . Right now trying to find out what squadron is that marking from on the nose.

I agree with Airframes' post above. As far as the pic you posted the link to... it is the B ( possible R ) variant of ju 87. But you need for D version as the Revell kit is for the type.

Last edited:
The diving crow is the St.G1 emblem. But the Ju 87B Stuka belonged to I./St.G3

Last edited:
It's a crow emblem for Sturzkampfgeschwader 1 (StG 1) a Luftwaffe Dive bomber-wing
StG 1 was formed in November 1939 and remained active until October 1943, when all Sturzkampfgeschwader were renamed Schlachtgeschwader 1 (SG 1).
IGruppe was rushed to North Africa in February 1941 to support the Afrika Korps (Deutsches Afrikakorps). Kommodore Walter Hagen

Attachments

• 744px-Sturzkampfgeschwader_1_svg.png
    744px-Sturzkampfgeschwader_1_svg.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back