I went to fight and a hockey game broke out...... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ said:
WHERE'S LES!!!!

All good except that Bertuzzi cheap shot on Steve Moore. What comes around goes around though...

While no one deserved to be hurt like Steve was.....he deserved to get his butt kicked and he was not man enough to take it toe to toe so he got what he got....a punch in the back of the head. Like I said he did not deserve the broken neck but a good butt kicking was in order there.

Bertuzzi challenged him several times and Steve would not do it....Todd had no choice but to exact payback with a "cheap shot" b/c Steve would not drop the gloves.

A another example close to this one is the Claude L. incident vs Detroit Redwings. Even Claude dropped the gloves to face the music in the end.

Had Steve faced the music like a man, got his butt kicked, it would of been over and dropped. But instead he ran like a coward after his "cheap shop" vs Vancouver's best player.

I have paid back many players in hockey in my life time after their little cheap shots. What goes around does come around and payback can be a *****. I protected my fellow team mates when they had cheap shots given to them. That is the hockey code, the rules within the game. Guys who tried to hide behind the rules or the ref are the ones who got hurt the worst.

If you screw up or take a dumb cheap shot (we all have) then be a man drop the gloves and face the music. After that its all ok most times. Thats hockey.

I could agree with you but the check that started it all was far from cheap. Markus Naslund got hit hard by Moore, flat out. From what I remember Naslund had his head down and just got nailed. Bertuzzi had many other ways to go after Moore if he felt he wanted payback, he could of waited and bought his time when Moore might of thought he wasn't a marked man. He could of waited until another player baited Moore into a scrap at a later date (Howe and Fergurson were great at being patient and doing stuff like that) but to sneak up on the guy from behind is just being a "puzzy," let alone just plain stupid and something done in an alley behind the bar. Look what it got him, regardless if he was right or wrong! I don't think Bertuszzi is that much of a plug where he couldn't of skated right up to Moore face to face and started hammering him??? I played hockey for a number of years myself (remember I live close by to you at one time). If that would of been done to someone I played with, the payback would of been outside the rink and a guy like Bertruzzi would of found himself in a hospital for a long time suffering from "baseball bat sunburn."

FLYBOYJ said:
I could agree with you but the check that started it all was far from cheap. Markus Naslund got hit hard by Moore, flat out. From what I remember Naslund had his head down and just got nailed. Bertuzzi had many other ways to go after Moore if he felt he wanted payback, he could of waited and bought his time when Moore might of thought he wasn't a marked man. He could of waited until another player baited Moore into a scrap at a later date (Howe and Fergurson were great at being patient and doing stuff like that) but to sneak up on the guy from behind is just being a "puzzy," let alone just plain stupid and something done in an alley behind the bar. Look what it got him, regardless if he was right or wrong! I don't think Bertuszzi is that much of a plug where he couldn't of skated right up to Moore face to face and started hammering him??? I played hockey for a number of years myself (remember I live close by to you at one time). If that would of been done to someone I played with, the payback would of been outside the rink and a guy like Bertruzzi would of found himself in a hospital for a long time suffering from "baseball bat sunburn."

Joe the hit on Naslund was a no no. In the NHL a low skilled player does not knock the highest scoring player in the NHL at the time out of a game with a huge hit (legal hit or not) and not expect payback to be extreme. Any team in the league was going to go after him if he did that to their best player.

Could of Todd waited until a later date? sure but remember Naslund is his best friend off the ice, not just a team mate.

Punch to the back of the head was not the best idea I agree. But Steve would not drop them so....Todd should of punched him in the face agreed. Was it a puzzy thing to do???no just dumb. Todd could of taken on two Steve Moores at the same time and beaten both into the dirt. Todd was dumb but not a coward (if that is what you are meaning by saying puzzy).

What did it get Todd? I say this (this could be a thread all by itself) had Steve's neck not been broken what would of Todd gotten for that punch? Kicked out of the game and I am guessing maybe 3-5 games. Being suspended for 3-5 games defending the NHL's highest scoring player at the moment is not much in my mind.

You have to admit the broken neck thing was a total freak accident that no one could of predicted, certainly Todd did not mean to cause it.

What would of happen to Steve if he would of hit Yzerman when Probert or Kocur were playing? They would of grabbed him anyway they could of and turned his face into dirt.

What would of happened to Steve had he hit Wayne G. when Dave Semenko or Marty McSorley were playing? They were of grounded him into a fine dust.

I don't see what Todd did was bad, just badly planned out, but that is the problem he did not have the time to cool down the plan it. He acted on anger and a bad accident happened. I don't like to Steve get a broken neck, but I would of dished out payback one way or another onto him also. I just hope I would of planned it alittle better than Todd. Grabbed Steve (when other people were not close so they could not save him) dropped my gloves and then landed as many blows to his face as a could before his team mates or refs jumped on my back to stop me. Depending how many shots I got in on him before it was broken up would depend on if I came after him again in the future.

pbfoot said:
All because of a clean hit on Naslund

Clean hit by the rules yes, but if you ever watched hockey or played it you know damn well that was a huge no no on his part. Low skilled nobodies don't take out the NHL leading scorer and not expect payback.

Hunter368 said:
Clean hit by the rules yes, but if you ever watched hockey or played it you know damn well that was a huge no no on his part. Low skilled nobodies don't take out the NHL leading scorer and not expect payback.
yep but you gotta think and Bertuzzi didn't and even then too bad it was clean hit I'd would've loved seeing Gretzky get crunched like that a few seasons ago

pbfoot said:
yep but you gotta think and Bertuzzi didn't and even then too bad it was clean hit I'd would've loved seeing Gretzky get crunched like that a few seasons ago

mmmmm why would you ever want to see Wayne get hit like that? What would that of proven? Do you really think the NHL can grow with their best players having their heads taken off by ever dumb azz nobody trying to make a name for himself? Sorry but that is ......a bad idea for the game to under state it.

Do you want to watch AHL hockey???? Have you ever watched AHL hockey? Thats what it would be like or it would end up like European hockey with little to no hard hits or rough stuff. Boring

Hunter368 said:
Joe the hit on Naslund was a no no. In the NHL a low skilled player does not knock the highest scoring player in the NHL at the time out of a game with a huge hit (legal hit or not) and not expect payback to be extreme. Any team in the league was going to go after him if he did that to their best player.
What are you saying, just because he was the leading leagues leading scorer, he's untouchable??? Come on, I think you know better than that!! I remember seeing Gretzky getting knocked around in his early years and although he had guys on Edmonton to look after him he sprung back and kept going. Shoot, I remember the Howe days - a leading scorer and FEW people would even think of intimadating him!
Hunter368 said:
Could of Todd waited until a later date? sure but remember Naslund is his best friend off the ice, not just a team mate.
Maybe he could of but I also think both players both knew it was nothing personal. Bertuzzi made it personal...
Hunter368 said:
Punch to the back of the head was not the best idea I agree. But Steve would not drop them so....Todd should of punched him in the face agreed. Was it a puzzy thing to do???no just dumb. Todd could of taken on two Steve Moores at the same time and beaten both into the dirt. Todd was dumb but not a coward (if that is what you are meaning by saying puzzy).
He's a dumb, after that incident it made him a puzzy...
Hunter368 said:
What did it get Todd? I say this (this could be a thread all by itself) had Steve's neck not been broken what would of Todd gotten for that punch? Kicked out of the game and I am guessing maybe 3-5 games. Being suspended for 3-5 games defending the NHL's highest scoring player at the moment is not much in my mind.
The point is he did break his neck and we're all lucky it wasn't a lot worse...
Hunter368 said:
You have to admit the broken neck thing was a total freak accident that no one could of predicted, certainly Todd did not mean to cause it.
Eddie Shore, Rocket Richard, Wayne Maki and Dale Hunter (to name a few) didn't mean to cause a lot of their havoc as well!!
Hunter368 said:
What would of happen to Steve if he would of hit Yzerman when Probert or Kocur were playing? They would of grabbed him anyway they could of and turned his face into dirt.
Yes but even Probert (not the smartest tool in the shed) would of risked doing what Bertuzzi did...
Hunter368 said:
What would of happened to Steve had he hit Wayne G. when Dave Semenko or Marty McSorley were playing? They were of grounded him into a fine dust.
Yes they would of, but they wouldn't of done it from behind...
Hunter368 said:
I don't see what Todd did was bad, just badly planned out, but that is the problem he did not have the time to cool down the plan it. He acted on anger and a bad accident happened.
He also acted out of stupidity..
Hunter368 said:
I don't like to Steve get a broken neck, but I would of dished out payback one way or another onto him also. I just hope I would of planned it alittle better than Todd. Grabbed Steve (when other people were not close so they could not save him) dropped my gloves and then landed as many blows to his face as a could before his team mates or refs jumped on my back to stop me. Depending how many shots I got in on him before it was broken up would depend on if I came after him again in the future.
That would of been fine, but Bertuzzi chose to be an idiot. He's lucky he's still playing and maybe will shake off the stigma, but now he'll always be labeled as a goon and it wouldn't surprise me if someday some up and coming player pounds the hell out of him "just because."

a good hit is a good hit its part of the game I don't care who it is . the two unwritten rules of the game are keep your head up and stick on the ice

pbfoot said:
a good hit is a good hit its part of the game I don't care who it is . the two unwritten rules of the game are keep your head up and stick on the ice
Bingo!

Maestro said:
Why no one remember the Habs VS Nordiques "Good Friday Massacre" on April 20th, 1984 ? It surely was one of the bloodiest hockey games of NHL history !

I found that video on YouTube... It's 9:46 and gives the main parts of the game.

When you think it's over, there is always someone else to drop the gloves...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnfRDwhaLM

I remember!!!

That was a great rivalry!

Back in the 80s I played in a league in Montreal where the team I was on wore Nordiques uniforms, most players were from the West Island (English) the league was on the East end (French) and half the team was Anglophones. The "English" guys were hated just becuase, the French guys were hated for skating with "Blockheads" and the whole team was hated becuase of the uniforms...

Although in our 2nd year we changed the logos and became "The Nationals" from the TV show "He Shoots, He Scores" ( "Lance et compte" ) That went over a little better....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back