1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk XII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, I like your bike, use to ride my Giant Kronos with my older brother and his titanium framed Litespeed! At 70 I still ride!
Thanks V vandee . It's on older model Giant Trinity but with Durace Di2 so I don't have to fluff around with levers at the end of the aero bars. I hope to be still riding at 70, kudos to you, but am still moderately competitive at 58 (at least in my age group, LOL). Finding that I cant do the short distances any more, just don't have the leg speed, but happy to focus on the half and full Ironman distances.

My brother was doing century and double century rides at your age. I myself couldn't get much past a 60 to 70 mile ride a day and I was younger than he was. You'll make riding at 70 easily. Good luck!

I just got a tracking number from the model shop and it says my paint will arrive March 7th. Hopefully sooner but it is what it is. I can now start the masking.

Change in delivery dates....now 8th!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 14-31-13 Tracking UPS - United States.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 14-31-13 Tracking UPS - United States.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 4
I guess in a day or two I can start painting. On the wings where are the wing tip navigation lights located. There are none shown on the instructions. The decal placement color plates show absolutely nothing either.

Wing tip nav lights were in the front of the wing tip fairing.
Can't get a pic of the real thing at the moment, but the pic below shows the location, approximate size and shape.

Spit XII nav lights.jpg

Thanks, I just read that wooden wing tips didn't have them and some metal wing tips did? Just a bit confusing.

Looks like you're right.
The "clipped" wings often had wooden tip fairings, and it seems the Mk.XII had these. Having checked photos, I can't see any nav lights on the Mk.XII.
I based my initial response based on the "clipped" wing Mk.V, which mainly did have the lights.
Pic below (IWM, in Public Domain) shows lack of lights.

Note that around half the Mk.XIIs built had retractable tail wheel, and the remainder (from Mk.V production) did not, having the "fixed" tail wheel. I think I should have a list of Serial Numbers showing which were which.

Spit Mk.XII.jpg

Thanks Airframes and Wurger. I will go by Airfix recommendations for tail wheel and use no navigation lights. I think DL*K was an early version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back