1/48 P-38F-15-LO – Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek. "Dear John" is a different rig, I believe, as the pattern of the mission tallies is different.

Cool subject Andy! This one has lots of colorful markings... should look nice!

So I'm off my a$$ now. First off, this is my first Academy kit and, though the quality of the moldings is pretty good and the reputation of its accuracy is well documented, I found a few disappointments probably stemming from the fact that this is the first P-38 Academy did and some improvements came out in subsequent issues.

The unclear instructions and lack of positive part locating tabs has made this a kit that, so far, I've had to take care in assembling. As always, I started with the cockpit which is straight forward, though even the seat mount frame had to be placed by eye.

15011106.jpg

15011107.jpg

Here's a shot of everything I've stuck together so far. The wheel wells took a lot of trial fitting as far as the coolant hose was concerned and I determined that it was not necessary to install these into the booms before the halves were glued together. I therefore elected to leave these out so that I could work on the fit with the booms together. To keep everything straight, I made sure to mark the part numbers and locations.

15011108.jpg

15011109.jpg

There was no effort by Academy to provide any semblance of radiator grilles so I'll maybe have to improvise here.

15011111.jpg

So here's a major setback that I only discovered very late. I mentioned earlier that I bought this kit for a pretty low price at a swap. The bags were opened and some parts were loose from the trees but I was assured everything was there. Nonetheless, I only just now discovered one of the booms to be damaged in that one of the engine covers in front of the leading edge had snapped off and is nowhere to be found. I must admit that I may have lost the part myself but in any event, it's not going to show up at this point.

15011110.jpg

I believe my best solution will be to make my own replacement piece from resin, using the other complete boom as a form for the mold. I'll get to that when I get the Hurricane done.

Last edited:
Not sure I do Cory. I have the materials but have never made a successful resin cast before.

Thanks guys and for the link John. I don't have proof of purchase so will not bother trying to get a replacement part. I'm actually keen to try the resin solution and will see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back