1/48 Revell Heinkel He-111 H-22 with V1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
Since I kind of cleaned my model cabinet, I decided to take some pics of models I made in the past.
This is the Revell He-111 H-22 with V1 I build some years ago. (It's the same kit as released by Monogram, in the same configuration, although with different decals)

It's mostly build straight from the box with a few scratch build additions that were not included in the kit or were not correct for the given model. I also added the fuse for the V1. I used the exellent Aero Detail book on the He 111, which is among the greatest refferences for model builders imho.

The Mg 131 in the side and lower gondola were replaced by Mg81 Zwillings from Aires the MG 131 in the turret is also Aires and I made a "vane" for it, as seen on all He 111 turrets. The tail was also shortened, as the later He 111 varians had "schleppen" gear installed, to tow gliders. The kit has the earlier longer tail of the H-3.
Decals came from Aero Master. He-111 Pt. 2
The aircraft represents a H-22 flown by the Kommandeur and is well pictured in various books.
I studied the camo back then and decided to go with RLM 76 for the "clouds" instead of RLM 02 as described on the AMD decal instructions.

Since I'm currently rebuilding another 1/48 Revel H-22 into a Slovak A.F. H-10, it looked like a good idea to post this one.

I know know that the nose bola is of the wrong typy for the H-22. Revell simply included the earlier nose for the He-111 H, the H22 should of have a smaller bola for MG-FF based on the H-10/16.

DSCF3029.JPG

DSCF3030.JPG

DSCF3031.JPG

DSCF3032.JPG

DSCF3033.JPG

DSCF3034.JPG

DSCF3035.JPG

Last edited:
Nice !
I've got this kit to back-date to a BoB period He-111 (eventually) as I couldn't find the earlier release at a sensible price. Looks like it has plenty of scope for added interior detail.

Thanks All!!! :)

That model made me really go to town with the airbrush! It's still one of my favorites.
I consider this Revell/Mongram He-111 one of the best 1/48 Luftwaffe bomber kit's.
Not too complated to build, general good fit and builds up nice.
Especially considering this model is 21 years old!

@ Airframes, backdating this tot a BOB model won't be that difficult. The exhausts included with the H-22 are in fact H-1 exhausts, so perfect for a BOB aircraft. Squadron has plenty of He-111 H clear parts availble to replace the turret. And you only have to find VDM propellers to replace the Junkers broad style ones. also the lower gondola is more correct for the earlier variant.
I compared both H-3 and H-22 kits and they are virtual identical, exept for the above described differences.
The interiour can be spruced up, but not much can and will be seen once the fuselage is closed.

Yes, I've checked what's needed for the back-dating, and already have the vac-form parts, and will probably re-profile the kit props. Got to do a similar exercise with a Dragon JU-88, back-dating to a Ju88A-1, and also butcher the Hobbycraft D017Z to get it to look right - unless I get the forthcoming ICM kit.

Yes, I've checked what's needed for the back-dating, and already have the vac-form parts, and will probably re-profile the kit props. Got to do a similar exercise with a Dragon JU-88, back-dating to a Ju88A-1, and also butcher the Hobbycraft D017Z to get it to look right - unless I get the forthcoming ICM kit.

Ah, I see. You got it covered!
As for Hobbycraft's Do 17 Z, it's doable. I started the kit a while back. The banana shape fuselage is an easy correction. But the clear parts must be repalced by Falcon or Squadron parts as they are plain wrong.
I recently purchased ICM's Do 215 (a 17Z with DB 601 engines) and it blows the HC kit away on simply all fronts. The ICM kit is just plain fantastic. They only missed the bump at the end of the fuselage where the tail empanage sits. Though some plastic card or putty will be a simple correction.
And the most fantastic part is that I actually paid less for the ICM kit then I paid for the HC kit...

If ICM decides to do a 17Z, I'm sure it will be superb (even when compared to the O.O.P. Classic Airframes kit)

I've got the vac-form set for the HC Do17, but I'll probably build it as a belly-landed example, and get the ICM kit when it's released later this year, to add to my BoB 'Hardest Days' collection.

I've got the vac-form set for the HC Do17, but I'll probably build it as a belly-landed example, and get the ICM kit when it's released later this year, to add to my BoB 'Hardest Days' collection.

Interesting. I never heard of the Vac-Form set for the HC Do 17. Can you post a description of it?

Here you go - it's part of the 'Falcon' 1/48th scale set No.14, Luftwaffe, WW2, available from Hannant's.
The set includes the main cockpit canopy, nose glazing, lower nose starboard fuselage section, and ventral gondola rear glazing. As can be seen from the drawing, the kit parts have to be cut as shown by the lines, and the clear parts fitted in their place.
It's a bit tricky with the lower nose section, in terms of a clean joint, but it makes a huge difference from what I've seen on finished models.
From memory, the ICM kit of the D017Z is due out around July or August.

Attachments

• Can Jan 821.jpg
    Can Jan 821.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Can Jan 822.jpg
    Can Jan 822.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG