1/48 SBD-5 Dauntless - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I've been on a family vacation the past few days and have just gotten some more modeling time in yesterday and today. Progress made includes installing pilot's bulkhead and seat along with the gunner's ring, then mounting the rest of the pit in the fuselage. I then attached the wings to the fuselage. The wing to body seam on the port side was a bit off, so I've been trying to fill and clean it without ruining the surrounding detail. I'm having a bit of trouble taking good close ups lately, so here is a general shot of today's progress.

P1030003.JPG

P1030006.JPG

Andy

Looks good Andy. One of the problems I have with close-ups with my Canon point and shoot is that my camera is trying to focus on many points as in your cockpit. I'll shoot 5 from different angle and distance just to get 1.

Geo

More progress today - power plant is done. I ended up painting the plug wires red and the push rods gloss black per the kit instructions. I found reference photos for several different colorations for the wires as well as the push rods, including a couple that supported the kit instructions. As always, thanks for looking!

P1030007.JPG

Andy

Great job on that. It may be that the wires were actually red but many model companies replicate modern examples without researching actual wartime parts or colours.

Hello, fellas. It's been a couple of weeks, but I've made a bit of progress today, and I'm just about ready to put color on the Dauntless. In the past, I've always hand painted the canopy frames, but looking at the results of those of you who mask and airbrush yours, I'm going to give that a try this time. That being said, it might be a while before I actually spray some paint as it may take me days to mask the canopy on this thing. Anyway, here's a shot of her as she sits right now:

Before paint.jpg

+1 :) shes a mighty fine bird :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back