1/48th Messerspit!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And I'm off bitchen about to many ejector pin marks and too much flash! My hats off to you guy; feeling kind of guilty. Off to drink away my guilt with a nice cold beer, not a Fosters though.

This will be one fantastic 'unique' build. Gonna be hard to top!
Just keep in mind, we DO NOT drink Fosters here in Oz.....
but if you want to make a flavorful gravy from brisket, add a can when baking!

So the Other P-40B is out of the way, today I have worked on the cockpit of the Spit.
Painting will start tomorrow, if She allows. ;)
S2F Mssrspt 16.jpg

You are just very good in hiding and camouflage.

Was wondering how the Messerspit was going. Good to see it move on again.
Going very well. Just deciding if when IP was modified if they Replaced it with a 109-6 IP. Instrument had a real difference in appearance. All literature says that it was altered. The 109 is a very different shape.
Painted interior green this arvo. Painting details and add it dirt and scratches .

Going very well. Just deciding if when IP was modified if they Replaced it with a 109-6 IP. Instrument had a real difference in appearance. All literature says that it was altered. The 109 is a very different shape.
Painted interior green this arvo. Painting details and add it dirt and scratches .
Do not think the changed the i.p. that much. Chanching / swapping electric driven instrument because of voltage difference. All sides flew captured airframes and none that i know of rebuild the i.p. just for testing. Best case was some sticker above a specific instrument and a sheet with does and donts. Taxi 2 times and off you go. Learning on the job.

1694762642278.png

Do not think the changed the i.p. that much. Chanching / swapping electric driven instrument because of voltage difference. All sides flew captured airframes and none that i know of rebuild the i.p. just for testing. Best case was some sticker above a specific instrument and a sheet with does and donts. Taxi 2 times and off you go. Learning on the job.

View attachment 737548
It is mentioned the voltage was changed, remember the fact it had the engine change. It was flown often by based fighter pilots for joy rides, no armament. IP was altered.

Keeping in mind the Spitfire had been flown many times already in its factory deliv e red state. THIS is an entirely different program, installing the DB engine for successful testing, and have it return to base and do it all over again. So; The cockpit and its mods, I have been pondering what may have been changed or not.

The seat. The German pilots chute looks a bit bulkier than the RAF. But I doubt if the bucket bottom would have needed altering.

Throttle quadrant. I think this would have been replaced. The arrangement needed to be familiar. They were controlling the power plant they normally flew.

The IP, in question. Since all this effort was put into new firewall with DB engine mounts, fuel and oil supply along with 24v power. A simple removal of the Mk.V IP and the installation of again, familiar instruments and engine controls would have been far easier than modifying Spitfire stuff!

I am doubting if any change control surface hardware would have been touched. Thugs like control stick, trim, flaps, even oxygen except for the tubing to mask.

So those are my CPT changes, throttle quadrant and IP!

It is mentioned the voltage was changed, remember the fact it had the engine change. It was flown often by based fighter pilots for joy rides, no armament. IP was altered.
Sorry Bill but i know. In fact i believe i have stated these in a thread a long time ago.
What i dont think is they yanked out the ip board and made a new.. just replaces a 12v to 24 v speedo and a bit of tape saying when airborne and i.g. landing speed. I must have a view of it in my hd archive. When i get home and it is still relevant for this build i post them.

Sorry Bill but i know. In fact i believe i have stated these in a thread a long time ago.
What i dont think is they yanked out the ip board and made a new.. just replaces a 12v to 24 v speedo and a bit of tape saying when airborne and i.g. landing speed. I must have a view of it in my hd archive. When i get home and it is still relevant for this build i post them.
I've never run across anything regarding changes in the cockpit, other than voltage change so it would be useful to know what was done.
After finishing the cockpit tho, I did read the armor plate behind the pilot was REMOVED............. GD it. I didn't!
Thanks for the heads-up repeat!

So doing some detailing, painting general chopping and channeling!! :rolleyes:
Progress to date. Seat assembly and painting done.
Interior Bf throttle quad installed, both sides painted.
Propeller hub modified new shaft. Some detail to new firewall.
Sorry for the poor picture.
S2F Mssrspt 17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back