1/48th Mitchell II - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps !

Not long got back from the hospital after the second infusion, and need to get some sleep.
Today has been one of the warmest so far this year, and it was really stuffy in the hospital, so with that, and the effect of the meds, I could hardly keep my eyes open, and kept nodding off, only to wake with a start as the drip thingy in my wrist pulled tight, as my head sank onto my chest.
Got a stiff neck now, and very sleepy, so going for a kip, and might get back to the bench tonight, if I wake up, otherwise it'll be some time tomorrow.

Hell's teeth !
I slept until 17.00 hrs today, with the odd, short spell of waking up briefly !
Feeling refreshed, and much more active, although still a bit 'woozy' after the infusion. Going to hit the bench, after sorting and posting more shots from last weekends air show, and hopefully get a lot more done to the Mitchell.
Pics soon.

Some good progress has been made,with the cowl flaps on the starboard engine made and fitted, and the fuel vent pipes added to the rear of both nacelles, these being made from small gauge aluminium tube. One of the nacelles split at the rear joint whilst drilling, and needs to be filled and sanded.
The wings have now been attached to the fuselage, which was a bit fiddly, as the long locating tabs on each wing are supposed to locate into the slots on the opposite side. They only just reach, and some wriggling and pushing was needed to eventually get them to hold in place, although the port wing root needs a little filler on the top surface.
The fins were assembled, sanded around the joints, and the hing lines on the rudders and trim tabs opened with a razor saw, before fitting them to the tail plane.
Once everything has fully set, some clean-up will be required, as well as the filler mentioned above, and then the model can be masked where needed, and prepared for the first stage of painting, which will be an overall coat of Neutral Gray, acting as the underside colour, and as a primer for the upper surfaces.
I hope to get to this stage some time today.

PIC 1 shows the fuel vents, which have yet to be aligned and cleaned in this photo.
PICS 2 and 3. How the model looks to date.

Mitchell Build 008.JPG
Mitchell Build 005.JPG
Mitchell Build 007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps, it's very much appreciated !

All the gaps have now been filled, and a few small 'divots' have also been attended to. Once the filler has fully set, the model will be sanded where needed, cleaned up, and prepared for painting. Hopefully, I'll have some more pics later tonight.

Thanks chaps.
Didn't get any more done - it's been such a beautiful day here, with 23 degrees, clear sky and sun, so I had a break, cleaned out the 'Tin Tent', then went to sit in the sun at the pub !
Sometime later tomorrow (er... today!) I should be able to get the primer coat sprayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back